Velocity Reviews

-   -   What if cameras were rated by true ISO and lenses by t-stop? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945461-what-if-cameras-were-rated-by-true-iso-and-lenses-by-t-stop.html)

RichA 04-17-2012 02:35 AM

What if cameras were rated by true ISO and lenses by t-stop?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04...tele-cine-lens

Me 04-17-2012 11:35 PM

Re: What if cameras were rated by true ISO and lenses by t-stop?

On 18/04/2012 9:48 a.m., Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-04-16 22:35 , RichA wrote:
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04...tele-cine-lens
>>

> The t-stop of almost all SLR lenses is not worst than the geometric
> aperture - at least not enough to matter. A very few SLR lenses have a
> t-stop that is worse, and in the case of apodization filtered lenses,
> variable t-stops.

It matters enough for video production - particularly when different
lenses will be used in multi-camera scenes. If there's a visible
exposure difference between cameras/lenses, an extra layer of complexity
is added to the editing process. For still photos, it would make no
difference to the intended output, or is trivial to adjust in PP.