Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945405-re-unreadable-cd-rs-i-guess-ten-years-is-about-the-limit.html)

Joe Kotroczo 04-15-2012 06:48 AM

On 15/04/2012 03:07, Mxsmanic wrote:
> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
> I'll find out eventually.

I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
every x years.

--
Illegitimi non carborundum

Bruce 04-15-2012 09:55 AM

Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com> wrote:
>On 15/04/2012 03:07, Mxsmanic wrote:
>> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
>> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
>> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
>> I'll find out eventually.

>I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
>is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
>every x years.

The difficulty is in determining the optimum value of x.

Bruce 04-16-2012 09:12 AM

"C. Neil Ellwood" <cral.elllwood2@btinternet.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:55:04 +0100, Bruce wrote:
>> Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com> wrote:
>>>I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
>>>is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
>>>every x years.

>> The difficulty is in determining the optimum value of x.

>It is very easy - it is always one week after everything goes down the
>drain.

I think that somehow fails to define "optimum". ;-)

Wolfgang Weisselberg 04-17-2012 01:52 PM

Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com> wrote:
>>On 15/04/2012 03:07, Mxsmanic wrote:
>>> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
>>> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
>>> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
>>> I'll find out eventually.

>>I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
>>is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
>>every x years.

> The difficulty is in determining the optimum value of x.

When rereading every 2 years dvdisaster shows first signs of CRC
errors, x is now.

-Wolfgang