Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945403-re-unreadable-cd-rs-i-guess-ten-years-is-about-the-limit.html)

nospam 04-15-2012 03:14 AM

Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

In article <s7bko7dqn45umdqrnfu5or50h94ailct56@4ax.com>, Mxsmanic
<mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
> I'll find out eventually.

always make multiple backups and check them every so often and migrate
to new media.

me 04-15-2012 03:20 PM

Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:14:52 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>always make multiple backups and check them every so often and migrate
>to new media.

I would add that one should consider keeping an off-site copy as well.
The local news this morning showed people effected by last week's
FA-18 crash in Virginia Beach being allowed to look through debris
from the apartment complex which had several buildings partially and
totally destroyed. Some folks lost everything.