Velocity Reviews

-   -   O.T. German speakers please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945271-o-t-german-speakers-please.html)

Roedy Green 04-10-2012 10:26 AM

O.T. German speakers please

I have got over my head. You certainly have heard of Gunter Grass the
German author (The Tin Drum) Nobel prize winner.. You may have heard
he wrote poem warning of the danger of nuclear war between Israel and
Iran. I thought, with my one year of German and google translate I
could provide the poem both in English and German.

However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
Python Bulgarian phrase book.

I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have a look at
it and at least correct the most outrageous errors.

see http://mindprod.com/politics/grass.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Andreas Leitgeb 04-11-2012 01:18 PM

Re: O.T. German speakers please

Roedy Green <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote:
> However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
> Python Bulgarian phrase book.

Indeed. :-) This poem makes intensive use of long, nested sentences,
which in English (even if the words and grammar *were* correctly
translated) would still turn into some gibberish that doesn't
sufficiently correspond to the German meaning.

> I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have
> a look at it [...]
> see http://mindprod.com/politics/grass.html

I've actually tried, but gave up after third paragraph.
Mail me (with a replyable(!) address), if you're interested
in the first three ones.

Arne Vajh°j 04-13-2012 12:19 AM

On 4/10/2012 6:26 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> I have got over my head. You certainly have heard of Gunter Grass the
> German author (The Tin Drum) Nobel prize winner.. You may have heard
> he wrote poem warning of the danger of nuclear war between Israel and
> Iran. I thought, with my one year of German and google translate I
> could provide the poem both in English and German.
>
> However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
> Python Bulgarian phrase book.
>
> I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have a look at
> it and at least correct the most outrageous errors.

Even though we do have a few Germans here, then there are
probably better groups than this.

Arne

Robert Klemme 04-13-2012 08:20 PM

On 10.04.2012 12:26, Roedy Green wrote:
> I have got over my head. You certainly have heard of Gunter Grass the
> German author (The Tin Drum) Nobel prize winner.. You may have heard
> he wrote poem warning of the danger of nuclear war between Israel and
> Iran. I thought, with my one year of German and google translate I
> could provide the poem both in English and German.
>
> However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
> Python Bulgarian phrase book.
>
> I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have a look at
> it and at least correct the most outrageous errors.
>
> see http://mindprod.com/politics/grass.html

Grass wrote a lot of rubbish here - it's even questionable whether that
writing is actually a poem. He's an old man and his time has long been
over. I assume he is getting odd by now. He has played moral authority
in the 20th century and accused people. I did not pay too much
attention then (partly because I'm from a younger generation) but he
completely made himself ridiculous when he - very, very late - admitted
to have been member of the SS.

I can understand your attempt to translate this for purposes of
understanding - but I assume there are other translations around and I
personally don't find it worthwhile to invest the effort.

Btw, his stupidity is of course equaled by Israel declaring him persona
non grata - that's giving him too much attention and a clear violation
of DNFTT. Both parties meet here on the same - low - level.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/