Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Missing utf8_heavy.pl (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945237-re-missing-utf8_heavy-pl.html)

Peter J. Holzer 04-08-2012 07:12 PM

Re: Missing utf8_heavy.pl

On 2012-04-08 18:49, James Moe <jimoeDESPAM@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> perl v5.14.2
> assp v1.7.5.7 (yes, it is old)
> opensuse v12.1
>
> ASSP = anti-spam smtp proxy, a bayesian spam filter.
> I attempted to move ASSP from a server that was running perl v5.8.6 to
> another server. After installing and configuring, all attempts to send
> mail result in this error:
>
> "Mainloop: Can't locate utf8_heavy.pl in @INC"
> (@INC contains: .
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi

[...]
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/local/bin/assp-v1)
> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2/utf8.pm line 17.;
>
> despite the fact that utf8_heavy.pl (and ./unicore and ./Unicode) exists
> in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/

utf8_heavy.pl is part of the perl core. It should not be in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, but in /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2. Did you copy
that yourself?

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Deprecating human carelessness and
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | ignorance has no successful track record.

Peter J. Holzer 04-09-2012 06:17 PM

Re: Missing utf8_heavy.pl

On 2012-04-09 06:04, James Moe <jimoeDESPAM@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2012 12:12 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>>> I attempted to move ASSP from a server that was running perl v5.8.6 to
>>> another server. After installing and configuring, all attempts to send
>>> mail result in this error:
>>>
>>> "Mainloop: Can't locate utf8_heavy.pl in @INC"
>>> (@INC contains: .
>>>
>>> despite the fact that utf8_heavy.pl (and ./unicore and ./Unicode) exists
>>> in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/

>> utf8_heavy.pl is part of the perl core. It should not be in
>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, but in /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2. Did you copy
>> that yourself?
>>

> The files are also in /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2/. Regardless, since the
> files are in both places of the search path, how is it that they cannot
> be found?

Hard to say from a distance. You could try strace to check what it is
really doing.

Preferrably with a simple script like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use warnings;
use strict;
use utf8;
use 5.010;

binmode STDOUT, ":encoding(UTF-8)";

my $s = "Käsefüße";

say $s;
say lc $s;
say uc $s;
__END__

But simple fact that you have a core file in a non-core location is
strong indication that your perl installation is messed up. Maybe one of
your utf8_heavy.pl files doesn't match your perl version, or maybe some
of the files that utf8_heavy.pl is trying to load is missing (although I
would expect a different error message in this case). Or maybe
permissions are wrong ...

> The installation is what I ended up with after an update from opensuse
> v11.4 to v12.1.

Maybe something went wrong during the update. Have you tried a fresh
installation of opensuse v12.1?

hp