Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: [SI] Work comments (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945134-re-si-work-comments.html)

tony cooper 04-04-2012 10:54 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:20:12 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/142128076
>Boswer - Club
>Work places are under-represented in this SI, so this is a welcome shot.
> I really wonder what goes on in an "Adult Entertainment Club". But I
>imagine it is a carefully named establishment which here would simply be
>called a sex shop. At least if not sure, one get a hero next door.

I have never ventured into an Adult Entertainment Club. I *am*
curious about what entertainment is provided, though, and hope that
Bowser will make a return visit (unaccompanied by his wife) and
provide a full review of the goings-on.

I have been to a strip club, though. When I first moved to Chicago in
1960, I went to a strip club because Indianapolis had no such
venues...tired middle-aged women gyrating sluggishly to music piped in
through speakers with the rattle of torn cones. (They may not have
been middle-aged, but had that worn look that makes young women look
old.)

The ladies didn't really strip. They came out in beaded bikini-
bottoms with some kind of halter top over pasties. At the end of the
"dance", they'd flash open the halter top. The room was clouded with
smoke and it smelled of sweat and something else that was
unidentifiable but unpleasant.

One visit and done...or so I thought. That summer several of my
fraternity brothers came up to Chicago for the weekend and insisted on
going to a strip club. After about the third or fourth visit, I'd
walk them to the door and wait for them outside. It was just too
depressing to go inside.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 04-06-2012 02:06 AM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:55:02 -0400, Bowser <ooohhh@mmmmyyy.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:54:23 -0400, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:20:12 -0400, Alan Browne
>><alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/142128076
>>>Boswer - Club
>>>Work places are under-represented in this SI, so this is a welcome shot.
>>> I really wonder what goes on in an "Adult Entertainment Club". But I
>>>imagine it is a carefully named establishment which here would simply be
>>>called a sex shop. At least if not sure, one get a hero next door.
>>>

>>I have never ventured into an Adult Entertainment Club. I *am*
>>curious about what entertainment is provided, though, and hope that
>>Bowser will make a return visit (unaccompanied by his wife) and
>>provide a full review of the goings-on.

>OK, I'm in. Now if Nadine is game the next trip to Key West could be
>really interesting. That is until they see how damned ugly I am. Then
>the whole thing is in jeopardy.

Wait a minute, now. Key West has some "adult" clubs that are a bit
different than I had in mind. Make sure the "girls" don't have adam's
apples.

My wife and I were in Key West during "Fantasy Fest". Gave me a bit
of a jolt to walk into a men's room to see a person standing in front
of the wall urinal with his dress hiked up. I mentioned it to my wife
who looked at him and said "Nice shoes. Jimmy Choo?"

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 04-06-2012 06:27 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 13:23:05 -0400, Bowser <ooohhh@mmmmyyy.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 22:06:55 -0400, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>OK, I'm in. Now if Nadine is game the next trip to Key West could be
>>>really interesting. That is until they see how damned ugly I am. Then
>>>the whole thing is in jeopardy.

>>Wait a minute, now. Key West has some "adult" clubs that are a bit
>>different than I had in mind. Make sure the "girls" don't have adam's
>>apples.

>Saw plenty of trannys, and the bar across from our inn had a drag show
>nightly. One guy looked like a linebacker in a leopard skin dress.
>Truly bizarre. They would stand on the sidewalk in their tight dresses
>drumming up business.
>

>>My wife and I were in Key West during "Fantasy Fest". Gave me a bit
>>of a jolt to walk into a men's room to see a person standing in front
>>of the wall urinal with his dress hiked up. I mentioned it to my wife
>>who looked at him and said "Nice shoes. Jimmy Choo?"

>Well, they can wear the clothes, but simply can't accessorize.
>
>;-)

The worst I saw was a guy in a backless frock. He looked pretty good
from the front, but had a matted black pelt of hair on his back.
Strangely, his legs were shaved.

My wife pointed out that I mis-told the story. She said "Nice shoes",
but he replied "Jimmy Choo". She wouldn't know Jimmy Choos by sight,
but knows their reputation.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN 04-08-2012 08:31 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On 4/5/2012 7:55 PM, Bowser wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:54:23 -0400, tony cooper
> <tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:20:12 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/142128076
>>> Boswer - Club
>>> Work places are under-represented in this SI, so this is a welcome shot.
>>> I really wonder what goes on in an "Adult Entertainment Club". But I
>>> imagine it is a carefully named establishment which here would simply be
>>> called a sex shop. At least if not sure, one get a hero next door.
>>>

>> I have never ventured into an Adult Entertainment Club. I *am*
>> curious about what entertainment is provided, though, and hope that
>> Bowser will make a return visit (unaccompanied by his wife) and
>> provide a full review of the goings-on.

> OK, I'm in. Now if Nadine is game the next trip to Key West could be
> really interesting. That is until they see how damned ugly I am. Then
> the whole thing is in jeopardy.
>

>> I have been to a strip club, though. When I first moved to Chicago in
>> 1960, I went to a strip club because Indianapolis had no such
>> venues...tired middle-aged women gyrating sluggishly to music piped in
>> through speakers with the rattle of torn cones. (They may not have
>> been middle-aged, but had that worn look that makes young women look
>> old.)
>>
>> The ladies didn't really strip. They came out in beaded bikini-
>> bottoms with some kind of halter top over pasties. At the end of the
>> "dance", they'd flash open the halter top. The room was clouded with
>> smoke and it smelled of sweat and something else that was
>> unidentifiable but unpleasant.
>>
>> One visit and done...or so I thought. That summer several of my
>> fraternity brothers came up to Chicago for the weekend and insisted on
>> going to a strip club. After about the third or fourth visit, I'd
>> walk them to the door and wait for them outside. It was just too
>> depressing to go inside.

> There's a couple of clubs near me, and they are depressing. The girls
> are nice looking, but clearly are just going through the motions to
> grab a few bucks. Not worth the price of the booze.

Hmm! When I was younger, it was worth the price of the drinks. Now, I
agree with you.

--
Peter

PeterN 04-08-2012 08:35 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On 4/6/2012 1:23 PM, Bowser wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 22:06:55 -0400, tony cooper
> <tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> OK, I'm in. Now if Nadine is game the next trip to Key West could be
>>> really interesting. That is until they see how damned ugly I am. Then
>>> the whole thing is in jeopardy.

>> Wait a minute, now. Key West has some "adult" clubs that are a bit
>> different than I had in mind. Make sure the "girls" don't have adam's
>> apples.

> Saw plenty of trannys, and the bar across from our inn had a drag show
> nightly. One guy looked like a linebacker in a leopard skin dress.
> Truly bizarre. They would stand on the sidewalk in their tight dresses
> drumming up business.

You don't have to go to Key West. It's quite common in P Town and of
course the Village.

--
Peter

tony cooper 04-08-2012 09:27 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:35:16 -0400, PeterN
<peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>On 4/6/2012 1:23 PM, Bowser wrote:

>>> Wait a minute, now. Key West has some "adult" clubs that are a bit
>>> different than I had in mind. Make sure the "girls" don't have adam's
>>> apples.

>> Saw plenty of trannys, and the bar across from our inn had a drag show
>> nightly. One guy looked like a linebacker in a leopard skin dress.
>> Truly bizarre. They would stand on the sidewalk in their tight dresses
>> drumming up business.
>>

>You don't have to go to Key West. It's quite common in P Town and of
>course the Village.

I've been to San Francisco, Key West, the Village, and the East
Village. I guess I must look straight (and I am) because I've never
been as much as winked at. Key West, though, is more relaxed than the
other places mentioned. Haven't been to Provincetown or Fire Island.

You have gay bars in Key West, but there are gays in most bars. You
can sit and chat with them without any sexual overtones. You can have
a pleasant time without feeling you have to worry about sending out
the wrong signals.

I understand that transvestites, or cross-dressers, are not
necessarily gay, but where you find one you find the other.

The East Village is scary. I don't know if it's a New York attitude
or an East Village attitude, but if you don't "belong", they appear to
be hostile. Not so in Key West.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN 04-08-2012 10:50 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On 4/8/2012 5:27 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:35:16 -0400, PeterN
> <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/2012 1:23 PM, Bowser wrote:

>>> Saw plenty of trannys, and the bar across from our inn had a drag show
>>> nightly. One guy looked like a linebacker in a leopard skin dress.
>>> Truly bizarre. They would stand on the sidewalk in their tight dresses
>>> drumming up business.
>>>

>> You don't have to go to Key West. It's quite common in P Town and of
>> course the Village.

> I've been to San Francisco, Key West, the Village, and the East
> Village. I guess I must look straight (and I am) because I've never
> been as much as winked at. Key West, though, is more relaxed than the
> other places mentioned. Haven't been to Provincetown or Fire Island.
>
> You have gay bars in Key West, but there are gays in most bars. You
> can sit and chat with them without any sexual overtones. You can have
> a pleasant time without feeling you have to worry about sending out
> the wrong signals.
>
> I understand that transvestites, or cross-dressers, are not
> necessarily gay, but where you find one you find the other.
>
> The East Village is scary. I don't know if it's a New York attitude
> or an East Village attitude, but if you don't "belong", they appear to
> be hostile. Not so in Key West.

Never thought of it as scary. Since my days at NYU I would often go go
McSorley's, and continued until they ruined the place by admitting
women. I had a cousin who lived there, without incident. On occasion I
would go there for Indian food with one of my daughters. I never felt
uncomfortable there, even with two cameras at night.

--
Peter

PeterN 04-08-2012 10:53 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On 4/8/2012 5:40 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-04-08 17:27 , tony cooper wrote:
>
>> The East Village is scary. I don't know if it's a New York attitude
>> or an East Village attitude, but if you don't "belong", they appear to
>> be hostile. Not so in Key West.

> You made me look it up ... to confirm that that area has become
> "gentrified" over the last decade to the point where it's more and more
> of a yuppie haven than its edgy 60/70's fringe fame.

Much of the City either is, or becoming "gentrified."

--
Peter

PeterN 04-10-2012 09:04 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

On 4/9/2012 7:59 PM, Bowser wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:35:16 -0400, PeterN
> <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/2012 1:23 PM, Bowser wrote:

>>> Saw plenty of trannys, and the bar across from our inn had a drag show
>>> nightly. One guy looked like a linebacker in a leopard skin dress.
>>> Truly bizarre. They would stand on the sidewalk in their tight dresses
>>> drumming up business.
>>>

>> You don't have to go to Key West. It's quite common in P Town and of
>> course the Village.

> A few years ago I would up in P-Town on the day of the carnival
> parade, AKA the Gay Super Bowl. It was f-ing hysterical...

The Mermaid Parade in Coney Island is a real blast. though last year
things were tamer than in prior years. They even have a "family safe" area.

--
Peter

Tim Conway 04-12-2012 07:51 PM

Re: [SI] Work comments

"tony cooper" <tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:35:16 -0400, PeterN
> <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On 4/6/2012 1:23 PM, Bowser wrote:

>>> Saw plenty of trannys, and the bar across from our inn had a drag show
>>> nightly. One guy looked like a linebacker in a leopard skin dress.
>>> Truly bizarre. They would stand on the sidewalk in their tight dresses
>>> drumming up business.
>>>

>>You don't have to go to Key West. It's quite common in P Town and of
>>course the Village.

> I've been to San Francisco, Key West, the Village, and the East
> Village. I guess I must look straight (and I am) because I've never
> been as much as winked at. Key West, though, is more relaxed than the
> other places mentioned. Haven't been to Provincetown or Fire Island.
>
> You have gay bars in Key West, but there are gays in most bars. You
> can sit and chat with them without any sexual overtones. You can have
> a pleasant time without feeling you have to worry about sending out
> the wrong signals.
>
> I understand that transvestites, or cross-dressers, are not
> necessarily gay, but where you find one you find the other.
>
> The East Village is scary. I don't know if it's a New York attitude
> or an East Village attitude, but if you don't "belong", they appear to
> be hostile. Not so in Key West.

I dunno about the East Village, but back in 1971 the West Village around
"The Back Fence" on the corner of Bleecker and whatever St was interesting.
There were gays there of course, but the ordinary person never felt
threatened. It was a really nice place to drink and listen to the local
entertainment.