Velocity Reviews

-   -   hiding javascript function call from status bar. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t937684-hiding-javascript-function-call-from-status-bar.html)

Archana 11-20-2008 12:57 PM

hiding javascript function call from status bar.

Hi all,

i am facing one problem with status bar of IE. when i execute any
javascript function or navigate to any link it is showing me that in
status bar which i don't want.

how will ido this?

any help will be truely appreciated.

thanks in advance.

David Mark 11-20-2008 12:59 PM

Re: hiding javascript function call from status bar.

On Nov 20, 7:57*am, Archana <trialproduct2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am facing one problem with status bar of IE. when i execute any
> javascript function or navigate to any link it is showing me that in
> status bar which i don't want.

That is a shame.

> how will ido this?

View | Status Bar will hide those pesky messages.

[snip]

SAM 11-20-2008 02:29 PM

Le 11/20/08 1:57 PM, Archana a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> i am facing one problem with status bar of IE. when i execute any
> javascript function or navigate to any link it is showing me that in
> status bar which i don't want.

onmouseover="window.status='no link';return true;">do that</a>

With recent browsers that can no more work.
(protection of status bar)

--
sm

Robin 11-20-2008 02:48 PM

See: http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html#javascriptURI

Archana 11-21-2008 06:42 AM

Re: hiding javascript function call from status bar.

Hi,

I think you r not getting my question. I want status bar to be
displayed which is having progress bar. But i don't want url to be
displayed or javascript call to be displayed on status bar.

if you know then let me know abt it.

David Mark 11-21-2008 06:46 AM

On Nov 21, 1:42*am, Archana <trialproduct2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you r not getting my question. *I want status bar to be
> displayed which is having progress bar. *But i don't want url to be
> displayed or javascript call to be displayed on status bar.

Ah, I see. You are referring to *my* status bar. Sorry, I like it
the way it is.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn 11-21-2008 06:51 PM

Archana wrote:
> i am facing one problem with status bar of IE. when i execute any
> javascript function or navigate to any link it is showing me that in
> status bar which i don't want.

See the FAQ, as recommended.

However, it can be argued that it would be a Good Thing that users see at a
glance that the pseudo-link they are about to click is only a pseudo-link
and does not necessarily cause navigation. Insofar I can see nothing wrong
in using both the href="javascript:..." and the `onclick' attribute in links
*that are created with scripting*, whereas the `onclick' code would return
`false' to prevent the default action of the pseudo-link.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16

dhtml 11-23-2008 05:25 AM

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Archana wrote:
>> i am facing one problem with status bar of IE. when i execute any
>> javascript function or navigate to any link it is showing me that in
>> status bar which i don't want.

Why not?

> See the FAQ, as recommended.
>
> However, it can be argued that it would be a Good Thing that users see at a
> glance that the pseudo-link they are about to click is only a pseudo-link
> and does not necessarily cause navigation. Insofar I can see nothing wrong
> in using both the href="javascript:..." and the `onclick' attribute in links
> *that are created with scripting*, whereas the `onclick' code would return
> `false' to prevent the default action of the pseudo-link.

Assuming:
1) The status bar is visible and
2) User actually looks at the status bar and
3) The user recognizes text in the statusbar that starts with
"javascript:" as being a "pseudo link".

It would be a good idea to just use some other type of indicator for
styling scripted objects (so they are distinguishable from links). For
example, use underline for real links, but not for buttons/widgets, et c.

You may want to F'up to a HCI newsgroup.

--
comp.lang.javascript FAQ <URL: http://jibbering.com/faq/ >

David Mark 11-23-2008 05:40 AM

On Nov 23, 12:25*am, dhtml <dhtmlkitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> > Archana wrote:
> >> i am facing one problem with status bar of IE. when i execute any
> >> javascript function or navigate to any link it is showing me that in
> >> status bar which i don't want.

> Why not?
>
> > See the FAQ, as recommended.

> > However, it can be argued that it would be a Good Thing that users see at a
> > glance that the pseudo-link they are about to click is only a pseudo-link
> > and does not necessarily cause navigation. *Insofar I can see nothingwrong
> > in using both the href="javascript:..." and the `onclick' attribute in links
> > *that are created with scripting*, whereas the `onclick' code would return
> > `false' to prevent the default action of the pseudo-link.

> Assuming:
> 1) The status bar is visible and
> 2) User actually looks at the status bar and
> 3) The user recognizes text in the statusbar that starts with
> "javascript:" as being a "pseudo link".

I'm not sure why they would care. The "pseudo link" may just call
window.open.

> It would be a good idea to just use some other type of indicator for
> styling scripted objects (so they are distinguishable from links). For
> example, use underline for real links, but not for buttons/widgets, et c.

Yes, and I would go a step further and say that links that are
obviously part of the navigation can go without underlines (but that
is just a style choice.) And certainly "links" on widgets should not
look like links. Nor should buttons, but I see cursor:pointer used on
them all the time.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn 11-23-2008 10:42 AM

dhtml wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> [...] it can be argued that it would be a Good Thing that users see at a
>> glance that the pseudo-link they are about to click is only a pseudo-link
>> and does not necessarily cause navigation. Insofar I can see nothing wrong
>> in using both the href="javascript:..." and the `onclick' attribute in links
>> *that are created with scripting*, whereas the `onclick' code would return
>> `false' to prevent the default action of the pseudo-link.

> Assuming:
> 1) The status bar is visible and
> 2) User actually looks at the status bar and

There are other ways to show the URI of a hyperlink than a statusbar, so the
latter is in fact *your* assumption.

> 3) The user recognizes text in the statusbar that starts with
> "javascript:" as being a "pseudo link".

Granted, the term "javascript" (and different spellings thereof) needs to be
known and understood by the user. But I still think `javascript:' in such a
case is better than nothing or the infamous "#"; it would provide at least
an indication as to what would (not) happen if the item was activated.

> It would be a good idea to just use some other type of indicator for
> styling scripted objects (so they are distinguishable from links). For
> example, use underline for real links, but not for buttons/widgets, et c.

I think that would be overkill.

PointedEars