Velocity Reviews

-   -   Serious cache problem - Page_Load get never get called !!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t93682-serious-cache-problem-page_load-get-never-get-called.html)

Ryan Park 01-03-2005 01:40 PM

Serious cache problem - Page_Load get never get called !!!

Hi,

I got a asp.net page that stores session variable.

This page gets input parameter by QueryString and this variable stored
into session variable.

Asp.net page works in normal navigation scenario.

Then I bookmarked this url to my favorites and call this url by
clicking favorites link.

When in this situation, at initial time Page_Load() of my asp.net gets
called but after first time, page never get called by clicking
favorites link.

I guess maybe IE caches the link and read it when user clicks from
favorite link.

I've tried below codes only to fail to call Page_Load(). All of them
failed.

Response.Expires = 0;
Response.Cache.SetNoStore();
Response.AppendHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");

Navigating my asp.net pages by favorites link is very possible user
scenario.

This is unavoidable.

How can I always ensure IE to read URL from Web Server not from cache
when user clicks favorites link?

Any suggestion will be appreciated. TIA. :)

Regards,
Ryan

Mark Fitzpatrick 01-03-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Serious cache problem - Page_Load get never get called !!!

Appending the header doesn't necessarily tell the browser not to cache the
page. For that, your best bet is to include the appropriate meta tag: <META
HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">. Using the meta tag may help catch
more browsers than just the response header alone.

You might also try using a Response.Flush() right after you send the pragma
header. I've seen that help in some instances.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

news:5016f0aa.0501030540.572182a1@posting.google.c om...

Joerg Jooss 01-03-2005 05:52 PM

Mark Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Appending the header doesn't necessarily tell the browser not to
> cache the page.

That's correct -- the HTTP spec distinguishes between caches and histories.
For histories, Cache-Control and such do not apply.

> For that, your best bet is to include the appropriate
> meta tag: <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">. Using the
> meta tag may help catch more browsers than just the response header
> alone.

But only if the browser's HTTP implementation stinks. Out of curiosity: Can
you name any modern browser for which a META tag works, but a HTTP header
doesn't?

Cheers,

--
Joerg Jooss