Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is it possible to retrieve http response status? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t935934-is-it-possible-to-retrieve-http-response-status.html)

Khai Doan 05-22-2008 02:33 AM

Is it possible to retrieve http response status?

I am using Selenium, a javascript framework for automated testing of
web application. The problem occurs when there is a server side HTTP
redirect. Selenium would detect that a new page is loaded, proceed to
the next command which then fail because the browser is carrying out
the redirect. So, is it possible to use javascript on the browser
side (Firefox 2) to get the http response status code?

Martin Honnen 05-22-2008 11:56 AM

Re: Is it possible to retrieve http response status?

Khai Doan wrote:
> I am using Selenium, a javascript framework for automated testing of
> web application. The problem occurs when there is a server side HTTP
> redirect. Selenium would detect that a new page is loaded, proceed to
> the next command which then fail because the browser is carrying out
> the redirect. So, is it possible to use javascript on the browser
> side (Firefox 2) to get the http response status code?

If you use XMLHttpRequest to make an HTTP request then you can read out
the status and statusText properties:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XMLHttpRequest

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn 05-22-2008 09:57 PM

Martin Honnen wrote:
> Khai Doan wrote:
>> I am using Selenium, a javascript framework for automated testing of
>> web application. The problem occurs when there is a server side HTTP
>> redirect. Selenium would detect that a new page is loaded, proceed to
>> the next command which then fail because the browser is carrying out
>> the redirect. So, is it possible to use javascript on the browser
>> side (Firefox 2) to get the http response status code?

> If you use XMLHttpRequest to make an HTTP request then you can read out
> the status and statusText properties:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XMLHttpRequest

XHR handles server-side redirects transparently, so it cannot be used to
detect whether a redirect took place. The value of the status property is
either a success status code (2xx) or an error status code (4xx or 5xx)[1],
never that of a redirect (3xx).

PointedEars
[1] It may be also 0 when using XHR to access the local filesystem directly.
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict