Velocity Reviews

-   -   Automatic Updates? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t93155-automatic-updates.html)

James Thomas 12-21-2004 08:25 PM

Automatic Updates?

Hello -

I have a web application done in ASP .NET and SQL Server that tracks
certain things for users. Currently, they must log on to be notified
when the items they have stored are getting ready to expire.

Some have asked if they could be sent emails such that they are
automatically notified via email when their information is getting
ready to expire.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (don't need code, just
thoughts on where to start) so I can provide this functionality?

Thanks,

James Thomas

Curt_C [MVP] 12-21-2004 08:32 PM

Re: Automatic Updates?

You wont do it with ASP.NET. By that I mean you want a process to run/check
all the time. You are trying to use a call/retrieve system without a
call.....

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

James Thomas 12-21-2004 08:56 PM

Re: Automatic Updates?

Fair enough. I was hoping I could use ASP .NET but didn't think I
could. Never hurts to be hopeful. :)

That said, what system should I use then?

nicolobj 12-21-2004 08:59 PM

Automatic Updates?

You can create an executable file and create a scheduled
task in Windows Scheduler that runs the program when you
need it to if you have admin rights to the server you ar
hosting the site on.

James Thomas 12-21-2004 09:14 PM

Re: Automatic Updates?

Thanks! This is what I will do. Appreciate the suggestion.

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 12-22-2004 02:18 AM

Re: Automatic Updates?

Hi James,

If you're wanting to do it in ASP.NET, I'm afraid we haven't good means but
to constantly query the db to detect it. But what's your server's OS
version( where the SQL server running on). Based on my experience, such
task can be done by the SQLServer's Notification Service which can help
send notification actively to other application or end users . But seems
the Notification service has some limitation on certain windows systems.
Anyway, you can have a look at the following reference:

#SQL Server Notification Services Books Online
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...started_4mn9.a
sp?frame=true

Hope also helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

James Thomas 12-27-2004 08:29 PM

Re: Automatic Updates?

THanks for the reply. I have implemented this using a suggestion
nicolobj left wherein I created a .NET Windows application that I set
Task Scheduler to run once a week. Works like a charm.

Thanks!

James

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 12-28-2004 12:58 AM

Re: Automatic Updates?