Velocity Reviews

-   -   IE 5.5 opacity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t929223-ie-5-5-opacity.html)

Peter Michaux 01-14-2007 10:49 PM

IE 5.5 opacity

Hi,

I've been trying to get opacity reporting working in IE 5.5 but the
Microsoft documentation does seem to work as I interpret it even though
this documentation page seems have been written for IE 5.5

In the html page listed below I see an error "Library not registered"
in IE 5.5. In IE 6 I see an alert that says "50" as expected.

Some of microsoft's demos on the above page also show the "Library not
registered" error in IE 5.5 but work in IE 6.

Has anyone else experienced these problems with filters? Any idea why
IE 5.5 doesn't work as advertised?

Thank you,
Peter

<head>
<title>opacity55</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
var blue = document.getElementById('blue');
blue.style.filter =
"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity=5 0)";

alert(blue.filters.item("DXImageTransform.Microsof t.Alpha").opacity);
};
</script>

</head>

id="blue"></div>

Peter Michaux 01-14-2007 10:56 PM

Re: IE 5.5 opacity

Peter Michaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get opacity reporting working in IE 5.5 but the
> Microsoft documentation does seem to work as I interpret it even though
> this documentation page seems have been written for IE 5.5

> In the html page listed below I see an error "Library not registered"
> in IE 5.5. In IE 6 I see an alert that says "50" as expected.

Also strangely the IE 4 opacity API only works in IE 6. In the example
below I get the same "Library not registered" error.

I have multiple versions of IE running on the same machine and wonder
if that is part of the problem. Does anyone have a Windows machine
running with only IE 5.5 installed that could check the two examples?

Thank you,
Peter

<head>
<title>opacity4</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
var blue = document.all['blue'];
blue.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=50)";
alert(blue.filters.item("alpha").opacity);
};
</script>

</head>

id="blue"></div>

VK 01-15-2007 05:29 PM

Re: IE 5.5 opacity

Peter Michaux wrote:
> I have multiple versions of IE running on the same machine and wonder
> if that is part of the problem.

Yes, it is. You cannot have multiple versions of IE above 3.0 on the
same Windows installation. I mean technically you can master it, but it
has low practical value for testing purposes: because you never can be
sure in the reson of some error: because of a particular version bug or
because of .dll klinch like in this case. You have then to create
several bootable drives on your harddrive, install Windows on each and
then needed IE version separately on each Windows.

Actually did you install IE6 as the last in the series? Seems like -
and in this case you may have even bigger surprise. On your IE5.5
execute this:

<script type="text/jscript">
var ver = ScriptEngineMajorVersion() + '.'+
ScriptEngineMinorVersion();
alert(ver);
</script>

What number do you see?