Velocity Reviews

-   -   show me how to replace all instances of word in textbox (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t928488-show-me-how-to-replace-all-instances-of-word-in-textbox.html)

alxasa@gmail.com 12-01-2006 09:41 PM

show me how to replace all instances of word in textbox

Hi, can someone please show me how to most elegently do this?.....

I have a textbox, and I want to search the contents of it and replace
all instances of a certain word, and replace that word with something
else. For the purposes of this it could be replacing "green" with
"blue". Can someone please show me how to properly do this? :)

Sincerest regards, Alxasa.

Jeff North 12-01-2006 10:33 PM

Re: show me how to replace all instances of word in textbox

On 1 Dec 2006 13:41:10 -0800, in comp.lang.javascript alxasa@gmail.com
<1165009270.429162.34030@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> wrote:

>| Hi, can someone please show me how to most elegently do this?.....
>|
>| I have a textbox, and I want to search the contents of it and replace
>| all instances of a certain word, and replace that word with something
>| else. For the purposes of this it could be replacing "green" with
>| "blue". Can someone please show me how to properly do this? :)
>|
>| Sincerest regards, Alxasa.

<SCRIPT>
re = /apples/gi;
str = "Apples are round, and apples are juicy.";
newstr=str.replace(re, "oranges");
document.write(newstr)
</SCRIPT>
jnorthau@yourpantsyahoo.com.au : Remove your pants to reply

alxasa@gmail.com 12-02-2006 01:24 AM

Jeff North wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2006 13:41:10 -0800, in comp.lang.javascript alxasa@gmail.com
> <1165009270.429162.34030@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> wrote:
>
> >| Hi, can someone please show me how to most elegently do this?.....
> >|
> >| I have a textbox, and I want to search the contents of it and replace
> >| all instances of a certain word, and replace that word with something
> >| else. For the purposes of this it could be replacing "green" with
> >| "blue". Can someone please show me how to properly do this? :)
> >|
> >| Sincerest regards, Alxasa.

> <SCRIPT>
> re = /apples/gi;
> str = "Apples are round, and apples are juicy.";
> newstr=str.replace(re, "oranges");
> document.write(newstr)
> </SCRIPT>
> jnorthau@yourpantsyahoo.com.au : Remove your pants to reply
> ---------------------------------------------------------------\

:) Could you pls show me how to do that same thing to effect a
textarea?

<textarea id=sunny cols=25>Apples are round, and apples are
juicy.</textarea>

Jeff North 12-02-2006 04:48 PM

Re: show me how to replace all instances of word in textbox

On 1 Dec 2006 17:24:21 -0800, in comp.lang.javascript alxasa@gmail.com
<1165022661.290025.122520@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups .com> wrote:

>| Jeff North wrote:

>| > >|
>| > >|

>| > <SCRIPT>
>| > re = /apples/gi;
>| > str = "Apples are round, and apples are juicy.";
>| > newstr=str.replace(re, "oranges");
>| > document.write(newstr)
>| > </SCRIPT>
>|
>| :) Could you pls show me how to do that same thing to effect a
>| textarea?

<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function ReplaceApples()
{
//--- setup regex string
re = /apples/gi;
//---- get element
id = document.getElementById("sunny");
//--- get text within element
str = id.value;
//--- do regex replace
newstr=str.replace(re, "oranges");
//--- save new value back to element
id.value = newstr;
}
</script>
</head>
<textarea id="sunny" cols=25>Apples are round, and apples are
juicy.</textarea>
<input name="btn" type="button" onclick="ReplaceApples()"
value="Change" />
jnorthau@yourpantsyahoo.com.au : Remove your pants to reply

alxasa@gmail.com 12-02-2006 09:12 PM

Jeff North wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2006 17:24:21 -0800, in comp.lang.javascript alxasa@gmail.com
> <1165022661.290025.122520@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups .com> wrote:

> >| > >|
> >| > >|

> >| :) Could you pls show me how to do that same thing to effect a
> >| textarea?

> <head>
> <title>Untitled Document</title>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> function ReplaceApples()
> {
> //--- setup regex string
> re = /apples/gi;
> //---- get element
> id = document.getElementById("sunny");
> //--- get text within element
> str = id.value;
> //--- do regex replace
> newstr=str.replace(re, "oranges");
> //--- save new value back to element
> id.value = newstr;
> }
> </script>
> </head>
> <textarea id="sunny" cols=25>Apples are round, and apples are
> juicy.</textarea>
> <input name="btn" type="button" onclick="ReplaceApples()"
> value="Change" />
> jnorthau@yourpantsyahoo.com.au : Remove your pants to reply

Very very nice and elegant, Jeff. :) Could you show me how to tweak
your code to account for case-sensitivity for changes?

alxasa@gmail.com 12-02-2006 10:43 PM

Re: show me how to replace all instances of word in textbox

I am sorry I moved too fast... I now do understand / /gi tags around
apple. If apples was a var reference to a parent frame, like
'parent.somestring' instead of just putting a word in there, how would
that work? :) Thank you so much for your assistance. Have a great
day! :)

re = /(parent.somestring)/gi ?

Evertjan. 12-02-2006 10:55 PM

wrote on 02 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I am sorry I moved too fast...

[please always quote on usenet]

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

alxasa@gmail.com 12-02-2006 11:18 PM

Evertjan. wrote:
> wrote on 02 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
> > I am sorry I moved too fast...

> [please always quote on usenet]
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

I am sorry. Here was the code I am talking about:

<script type="text/javascript">
function ReplaceApples()
{
//--- setup regex string
re = /apples/gi; <--- want to put a top.value="apples" in
between / /gi

Evertjan. 12-02-2006 11:38 PM

wrote on 03 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Evertjan. wrote:
>> wrote on 02 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
>>
>> > I am sorry I moved too fast...

>> [please always quote on usenet]
>>
>> --
>> Evertjan.
>> The Netherlands.
>> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

> I am sorry. Here was the code I am talking about:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> function ReplaceApples()
> {
> //--- setup regex string
> re = /apples/gi; <--- want to put a top.value="apples" in
> between / /gi
> //---- get element
> id = document.getElementById("sunny");
> //--- get text within element
> str = id.value;
> //--- do regex replace
> newstr=str.replace(re, "oranges");
> //--- save new value back to element
> id.value = newstr;
>}
>
> </script>

var re = new Regex(top.value,'gi')

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Jeff North 12-03-2006 12:26 AM

Re: show me how to replace all instances of word in textbox

On 2 Dec 2006 14:43:13 -0800, in comp.lang.javascript alxasa@gmail.com
<1165099393.504138.62500@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.c om> wrote:

>| I am sorry I moved too fast... I now do understand / /gi tags around
>| apple. If apples was a var reference to a parent frame, like
>| 'parent.somestring' instead of just putting a word in there, how would
>| that work? :) Thank you so much for your assistance. Have a great
>| day! :)
>|
>| re = /(parent.somestring)/gi ?

<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function ReplaceApples()
{
var id, re, inp, str, newstr, wFrm, wTo;
//--- get text from the input box
wFrm = document.getElementById("wrdFrom").value;
wTo = document.getElementById("wrdTo").value;

//--- make new regexp
re = new RegExp(wFrm,"gi");
id = document.getElementById("sunny");
str = id.value;
newstr=str.replace(re, wTo);
id.value = newstr;
}
function ResetChange()
{
document.getElementById("sunny").value="Apples are round, and apples
are juicy.";
}
</script>
</head>
<textarea id="sunny" cols=25>Apples are round, and apples are
juicy.</textarea>
Word from
<input name="wrdFrom" type="text" id="wrdFrom" value="" />
Word to
<input name="wrdTo" type="text" id="wrdTo" />
<input name="btn" type="button" onclick="ReplaceApples()"
value="Change" />
<input type="button" name="Button" value="Reset"
onclick="ResetChange()"/>
jnorthau@yourpantsyahoo.com.au : Remove your pants to reply