Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cross browser compatibility issue - JavaScript Array / ASP JS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t928455-cross-browser-compatibility-issue-javascript-array-asp-js.html)

dwair 11-30-2006 02:35 PM

Cross browser compatibility issue - JavaScript Array / ASP JS

Hi, I have been having browser compatibility issues and was wondering
if anyone could help.
I have been using a JavaScript array to populate marker data using ASP
JS in a google Maps project. For some reason the code works fine in
FireFox but not in Internet
Explorer (Run time error - expected ']' and 'markers' is undefined)
Any help would be gratefully received

<script type="text/javascript">
// get data from the db and plot the makers
var markers = [
<%while (!rstPropPoints.EOF){%>
{
'latitude':
<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item("lat").Value%>,
'longitude':
<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item("long").Value%>,
'propname':
'<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('propname').Value%>' ,
'text': '<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('text').Value%>',
'image':
'<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('image').Value%>',
'type':
'<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('sleeps').Value%>',
},
<%rstPropPoints.MoveNext();}rstPropPoints.Close(); %>
];
</script>

thanks - Hugh

Martin Honnen 11-30-2006 03:33 PM

Re: Cross browser compatibility issue - JavaScript Array / ASP JS

dwair wrote:
> Hi, I have been having browser compatibility issues and was wondering
> if anyone could help.
> I have been using a JavaScript array to populate marker data using ASP
> JS in a google Maps project. For some reason the code works fine in
> FireFox but not in Internet
> Explorer (Run time error - expected ']' and 'markers' is undefined)

Have you checked the code that arrives at IE? Is that syntatically
correct? Showing us the ASP code makes it hard for us to find the syntax
error.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Lee 11-30-2006 03:34 PM

dwair said:

>Hi, I have been having browser compatibility issues and was wondering
>if anyone could help.
>I have been using a JavaScript array to populate marker data using ASP
>JS in a google Maps project. For some reason the code works fine in
>FireFox but not in Internet
>Explorer (Run time error - expected ']' and 'markers' is undefined)
>Any help would be gratefully received

><script type="text/javascript">
>// get data from the db and plot the makers
>var markers = [
><%while (!rstPropPoints.EOF){%>
> {
> 'latitude':
><%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item("lat").Value%>,
> 'longitude':
><%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item("long").Value%>,
> 'propname':
>'<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('propname').Value%> ',
> 'text': '<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('text').Value%>',
> 'image':
>'<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('image').Value%>' ,
> 'type':
>'<%=rstPropPoints.Fields.Item('sleeps').Value%> ',
> },
><%rstPropPoints.MoveNext();}rstPropPoints.Close() ;%>
> ];
></script>

It's going to be easier to spot the problem looking at the actual
generated code, rather than the ASP. Since there's probably too
much to look at easily, see if generating only the first half
reproduces the error, and so on until you've identified the
smallest amount of generated code that reproduces it and take a
look at that, and/or post it or a link to it.