Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ajax library (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t927632-ajax-library.html)

paladin.rithe@gmail.com 10-18-2006 03:54 AM

Ajax library

I was looking at libraries for my project, and was thinking about using
Prototype, but I was seeing that people have reservations about it.
All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic XMLHttpRequest
stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own stuff as I need it.
I've seen one called advAjax, but the documentation is about as bad as
Prototype IMHO. I was having trouble figuring it out.
Are there other basic libraries that I could use? I could write my own
I guess, but as I am not that good at JavaScript yet, I would rather
use one and build on with my own stuff. Any ideas?

Matt Kruse 10-18-2006 05:05 AM

Re: Ajax library

paladin.rithe@gmail.com wrote:
> All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic
> XMLHttpRequest stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own
> stuff as I need it.
> Are there other basic libraries that I could use?

I'm biased, but I like mine ;)

http://www.AjaxToolbox.com/

It doesn't try to be a monster library or a complete black-box solution.
It's just a robust and extensible communication layer, making it easy to
make and handle requests. Making divs appear, highlighting changed content,
populating forms, etc - that's all left as an exercise to the reader ;)

I think the examples are concise and the documentation is clear and
complete. Let me know what you think!

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com

news@chthonic.f9.co.uk 10-18-2006 08:38 AM

Re: Ajax library

Matt Kruse wrote:
> paladin.rithe@gmail.com wrote:
> > All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic
> > XMLHttpRequest stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own
> > stuff as I need it.
> > Are there other basic libraries that I could use?

> I'm biased, but I like mine ;)
>
> http://www.AjaxToolbox.com/
>
> I think the examples are concise and the documentation is clear and
> complete. Let me know what you think!

I'm not biased and I like Matt's library too - you can actually read it
and see what it does.

In fact, I added AjaxEveryRequestBegin and AjaxEveryRequestEnd to the
callbacks possible so I could have a page report the total number of
active requests in the form of a progress bar (the current
AjaxRequestBegin and End are only called when the first request starts
and all requests end which initially confused me, but looking at the
library code immediately made it clear what was going on).

I'd been using prototype before that and debugging was a nightmare -
loads of errors simply get sucked up by the library and tracing back
what the original problem was took ages.

So. Use Matt's.

Roger (Bordeaux) 10-18-2006 12:39 PM

Re: Ajax library

paladin.rithe@gmail.com a écrit :
> I was looking at libraries for my project, and was thinking about using
> Prototype, but I was seeing that people have reservations about it.
> All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic XMLHttpRequest
> stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own stuff as I need it.
> I've seen one called advAjax, but the documentation is about as bad as
> Prototype IMHO. I was having trouble figuring it out.
> Are there other basic libraries that I could use? I could write my own
> I guess, but as I am not that good at JavaScript yet, I would rather
> use one and build on with my own stuff. Any ideas?

Hi,

New in the use of ajax I first used prototype, great stable library. You
can find widgets libraries build on it. The documentation is correct.

I tried rialto, turbiwidgets etc...

I know switch to the dojo toolkit because of the large amount of widgets
included, a very active developpement team, a support mailing list.
Dojo is known for his lack of documentation.

Roger

Douglas Crockford 10-18-2006 01:15 PM

Re: Ajax library

paladin.rithe@gmail.com wrote:
> I was looking at libraries for my project, and was thinking about using
> Prototype, but I was seeing that people have reservations about it.
> All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic XMLHttpRequest
> stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own stuff as I need it.
> I've seen one called advAjax, but the documentation is about as bad as
> Prototype IMHO. I was having trouble figuring it out.
> Are there other basic libraries that I could use? I could write my own
> I guess, but as I am not that good at JavaScript yet, I would rather
> use one and build on with my own stuff. Any ideas?

Like everyone else with an opinion on this, I'm biased, but I like YUI. It is
the best documented of the libraries. It is light, modular, and open.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

Kevin Scholl 10-19-2006 01:45 AM

Re: Ajax library

paladin.rithe@gmail.com wrote:
> I was looking at libraries for my project, and was thinking about using
> Prototype, but I was seeing that people have reservations about it.
> All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic XMLHttpRequest
> stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own stuff as I need it.
> I've seen one called advAjax, but the documentation is about as bad as
> Prototype IMHO. I was having trouble figuring it out.
> Are there other basic libraries that I could use? I could write my own
> I guess, but as I am not that good at JavaScript yet, I would rather
> use one and build on with my own stuff. Any ideas?

I haven't really done anything with Ajax, but I am completely sold on
JQuery, and I know it has a lot of Ajax capabilities built into it. Also
has an active community (via both mail list and Nabble discussion
board), as well as fantastic documentation.

http://jquery.com/

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
kscholl@comcast.DELETE.net
Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
the dreams...

TheBagbournes 10-21-2006 06:41 AM

Re: Ajax library

paladin.rithe@gmail.com wrote:
> I was looking at libraries for my project, and was thinking about using
> Prototype, but I was seeing that people have reservations about it.
> All I really need is some basic Ajax stuff, the basic XMLHttpRequest
> stuff. I will probably add on to that with my own stuff as I need it.
> I've seen one called advAjax, but the documentation is about as bad as
> Prototype IMHO. I was having trouble figuring it out.
> Are there other basic libraries that I could use? I could write my own
> I guess, but as I am not that good at JavaScript yet, I would rather
> use one and build on with my own stuff. Any ideas?

Ajax, or UI widgets? Which are you inquiring about?

Someone needs to seperate these two!

For "Ajax" functionality - which I take to mean background calls to the server using XMLHttpRequests and incremental updates of the document, I'd recommend DWR if you have a Java backend. This enables you to export certain interfaces to the browser, and call methods on the server and process the return value (which may be a fully-fledged Object) in a callback. http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr/

For well-documented, stable, capable UI widgets, I'd go for http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/ complemented by http://www.jackslocum.com/yui/index.php Other widget libraries I've seen are all flaky, slow, undocumented, and generally NOT usable in the real world!

halans 10-21-2006 12:21 PM

Re: Ajax library

Look at what others are using (865 respondents)...
http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxianc...survey-results
(spoiler: "Prototype, the most popular Ajax framework, by a
considerable margin: 43% of you use it.")
or raw results:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/DisplayS...U=240246533425

Matt Kruse 10-21-2006 01:38 PM

Re: Ajax library

halans wrote:
> Look at what others are using (865 respondents)...
> http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxianc...survey-results

Popularity is often not a good indicator of quality. Especially in the world
of javascript.

Yanick 10-22-2006 06:57 PM

Re: Ajax library

Matt Kruse wrote:
> halans wrote:
> > Look at what others are using (865 respondents)...
> > http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxianc...survey-results

> Popularity is often not a good indicator of quality. Especially in the world
> of javascript.

Perhaps Prototype lacks in clarity, but if you follow closely the
project, the library had some changes since v.1.4.0... (with backward
compatibilities). Don't be so quick to discard something ; if so many
people use it, it's because it is stable in many browsers (even some
that I've never heard of) Of course, I had some exception thrown by
Prototype, and admit that it was my fault every time (*sig*) ... like
many libraries out there, some checks aren't made directly in the
library for speed purpose.

A good documentation of Prototype can be found here :
http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype.js.html (it only
convers v.1.4.0 though... the most recent version of Prototype can be
compiled from the repository --
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/spinoffs/prototype/ -- on Ruby on
rails' web site, or look at Script.aculo.us...)

There's a lot of thing built on top of the library, I've wrote some
components also, and I added Rico on top of that (http://openrico.org/)
to be able to send multiple updateables (DOM elements and JS objects)
through server side XML, and it's all fairly easy to use (easier than
to learn DirectX anyways!)

One could add Script.aculo.us (http://script.aculo.us/) for dynamic
effects (the most recent compiled* version of Prototype, v.1.5 rc1 is
included)

(* compiled because Prototype is a collection of .js files that are put
together to form a single file, called prototype.js. But you can use
all module without too much of dependancies...)

But if you project is not that heavy, or if you refresh the entire page
a lot, Prototype might not be for you ; it is meat to refresh only part
of the screen, and rarely the entire document.

You could also look for Echo2 that is very impressive, but costly :
http://www.nextapp.com/platform/echo2/echo/

I'm not discarding any suggestion made in this thread, I just felt
writing about the pros of Prototype because so many people are quick to
crap over it ; it's all a question of "what type of Webapp you're
building" and "what are your coding techniques". Personally, I've
looked at Dojo, and I think that Prototype's way suits more my coding
habbits, and my Webapp's needs. (I haven't had the time to look at your
lib Matt, but I've read about it, and it looks alright.)

So, the general idea is : do not only read what others say, try it
yourself, even if people don't agree with it. Besides, if Prototype is
so bad, why is it hosted (and included) in the Ruby on rails package ?

-yan