Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox newbie questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t9246-firefox-newbie-questions.html)

Alan 08-24-2004 10:18 AM

Firefox newbie questions

Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
would like to ask a few questions please.

1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.
2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
newsgroups?
3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?

AL

Bryan Harrison 08-24-2004 10:42 AM

Re: Firefox newbie questions

> Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
> would like to ask a few questions please.
>
> 1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.

No. It's just a browser. If you want both you need Mozilla. If you just
want a mail program, then you need Mozilla Thunderbird.

> 2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
> newsgroups?

See above.

> 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
> Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?

Can you delete Internet Explorer? I don't think you can. But anyway, as
long as you don't use it, it's fine.
You just have to cope with the security issues inherent with Windows. ;-)

Bryan

Steve IA 08-24-2004 11:48 AM

Alan wrote:

> 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
> Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?
>
> AL

Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
extension to "view in IE". (Selling on ebay is one that doesn't work for
me). I've read that some bank sites don't like FF either.
Steve
southiowa

Brian 08-24-2004 12:22 PM

Alan wrote:
> Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
> would like to ask a few questions please.
>
> 1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.

Regular email? No. Firefox, like Internet Explorer, is just a Web browser.

> 2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
> newsgroups?

There are many alternatives for email programs. If you are looking for
a Mozilla alternative, then your options are Thunderbird or the Mozilla
Suite.

> 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
> Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with it?

No. Windows Update requires IE. And unless you know what you are
doing, you are not going to be able to remove it anyway; Windows XP is
not going to let you simply Add/Remove it.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

marcel 08-24-2004 05:27 PM

Re: Firefox newbie questions

Hi Brian
not necessarily: I could make XP' Updates including SP2 network
dowload (266 Mb) with Firefox 0.9.3
marcel

Brian 08-24-2004 06:46 PM

Re: Firefox newbie questions

<-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->

Correct. If you want to download from the catalog, then you could ditch
IE and use an alternative browser. However, most users do not know how
to use the catalog, and what updates they have installed on their
computer or do not know which updates they need to download. SP2 is an
exception to all this, as Microsoft gave you a nice little link to
download the .exe from, and you knew you needed/wanted it.

But... again, this method of updating Windows is not for the majority of
"normal" computer users.

Another alternative is to let Windows automatically update.

Is that how you usually update Windows XP? You read about needed
updates from somewhere/someone or the knowledgebase, and then go find
them in the catalog? I don't talk to may people that update that way,
but I know people do it.

I doubt you needed to download the entire SP2 file. If you would have
used the SP for "home users", you probably would have only downloaded
somewhere around 100MB of data.

This whole point is basically useless, as Internet Explorer is part of
Windows XP... and there isn't a way (that I know of) to completely
remove IE from it. You can deny access to it. But I don't think you
can actually remove it.

Cheers.

--
Brian

a question you haven't seen yet.
backwards; seeing the answer to
top-post. It's confusing to read
I'll never understand why people

Charlie 08-24-2004 07:55 PM

Steve IA wrote:

> Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
> extension to "view in IE". (Selling on ebay is one that doesn't work for
> me). I've read that some bank sites don't like FF either.
> Steve
> southiowa

As someone who has been using FireFox since it was Phoenix I have to say
that my experience is totally different. I have had no problems
whatsoever viewing sites or using FF for such transactions as paying
bills & purchasing online. Merely by using Firefox you have increased
your security no end :)

It may be true that the occasional site may only allow access to IE
users, this will happen less as more people stop using IE. I have come
across some really bad javascript that will only work on IE - usually
it's a site I can live without! Ironically, the only time I have to use
IE is when I need to log onto my router - bad cosing by SMC in this case :(

Charlie.
www.peartreegreen.org

slack_vi 08-25-2004 01:22 AM

Re: Firefox newbie questions

I use windows xp and when I want too use Windows Update I go to help and
support and it has its own nice lil mini program. Even though it
technically uses the IE rendering engine I feel like I am not cheating
on mozilla when using it. :)

marcel 08-25-2004 08:19 PM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:46:17 -0400, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:

><-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->

snip

Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
it ;-)
Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
NewsGroups...
Cheers.
marcel

Brian 08-26-2004 02:30 AM

marcel wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:46:17 -0400, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

>><-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->
>>

> snip
>
> Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
> it ;-)
> Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
> NewsGroups...
> Cheers.
> marcel

;-) I just think it's funny. It makes no sense to me, but other people
hate bottom-posting. You are correct about it varying from group to group.