Velocity Reviews

-   -   Detect when browser's cache is full (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t924366-detect-when-browsers-cache-is-full.html)

nsimeonov@gmail.com 04-21-2006 08:54 PM

Detect when browser's cache is full

Hello,

Does anyone have any idea how Gmail does this? I have a web application
and people complain sometimes about some problems and most of the time
it turns out it's the browser's cache being full. The application
doesn't do anything really fancy and all it does is to set a cookie. I
did a search and couldn't find anything except people explainin how I
shouldn't do that. Even if the users have to add the server to the
trusted zone it's ok because it's an intranet application. btw. I'm
speaking of a MS shop, so everyone is using IE if that matters. Even if
Mozilla doesn't support that functionality or doesn't have any problems
with it - I don't care at this point because my users are using IE
99.9999% of the time and searching for bugs on places where they don't
exist is wasting my time.

Thanks in advance,
Nikolay

Randy Webb 04-21-2006 09:16 PM

Re: Detect when browser's cache is full

nsimeonov@gmail.com said the following on 4/21/2006 4:54 PM:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any idea how Gmail does this?

How GMail does what?

> I have a web application and people complain sometimes about some
> problems and most of the time it turns out it's the browser's cache
> being full.

Then have them set IE to empty the cache when it gets closed.

--
Randy

nsimeonov@gmail.com 04-21-2006 09:48 PM

Re: Detect when browser's cache is full

Hi Randy,

I tried to log on to gmail from one of these machines and got a message
asking me to empty my browser cache. I tried it from my machine by
decreasing the amount of disk space to use for browser cache and got it
again. So obviously there IS A WAY to detect when the cache is full and
automatically ask the user to do that instead of calling me about the
problem.

I know it isn't my issue however it's increasing the frustration and my
phone keeps ringing...

Regards,
Nikolay