Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Javascript (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f68-javascript.html)
-   -   Resizing images per screen resolution (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t924087-resizing-images-per-screen-resolution.html)

Maxi 04-07-2006 10:23 AM

Resizing images per screen resolution
 
I have a 30X16 cells table in my html page. Table height and width are
set to 100%. I have set size of every cell inside the table to 24
pixel.

When I open the html page in maximize state in either resolution 800 X
600 or 1152 X 864 it takes up the entire explorer size.

In screen resolution 800 X 600, if I insert a pictures of 24 X 24 pixel
in the cells it takes up the entire cell size (ideally it should as the
cell size is also 24 X 24 pixel) and If I change the screen resolution
to 1152 X 864 the picture is there but it does not take up the entire
cell size. Little bit of surrounding area is visible.

I know the reason, when you change the screen resolution, it has more
pixels to display hence the problem.

What I want to know is, if I use pictures of 50 X 50 pixels into those
tiny 24 X 24 pixel cells, can id grow and shrink automatically
detecting the screen resolution?

Note:
1. I want each cell size to be 24 X 24 pixels. I Cannot modify this
requirement.
2. I want the table height and width set to 100%. Cannot modify this
either.


Is there any way out? I hope I have explained my problem properly. I
think it is not possible.

In that case if I remove the 100% table height width criteria, then on
800 X 600 screen resolution, it will take up the entire browser window
and if I chang the resolution to 1152 X 864, the table will appear in
the center leaving extra space in the background. Right? If yes, how
can I avoid this? I want to take up full explorer area regardless of
the screen resolution.

Is there any way in javascript to detect the system's screen resolution
first and accordingly resize the pictures?
For instance If i have pictures of 50 X 50 pixels then,
If screen resolution is 800 X 600, resize it to 24 X 24
if screen resolution is 1280 X 720, resize it to 32 X 32
if screen resilution is 1152 X 864, resize it to 40 X 70


[on] 04-07-2006 01:02 PM

Re: Resizing images per screen resolution
 
Maxi wrote:
> Is there any way in javascript to detect the system's screen resolution
> first and accordingly resize the pictures?
> For instance If i have pictures of 50 X 50 pixels then,
> If screen resolution is 800 X 600, resize it to 24 X 24
> if screen resolution is 1280 X 720, resize it to 32 X 32
> if screen resilution is 1152 X 864, resize it to 40 X 70


--- Detecting Resolution ---

Moz:
"Width: " + window.innerWidth + " Height: " + window.innerHeight

IE:
"Width: " + document.body.offsetWidth + " Height: " +
document.body.offsetHeight

(This was what I found, doing some searches online, might be a better
way somewhere)



--- Resizeing Image ---

var imgs = document.getElementsByTagName("img");
for (var i = 0;i < imgs.length;i++)
{
imgs.width = NEWWIDTH;
imgs.height = NEWHEIGHT;
}


If you have other images in the page, you can first "grab" the table
and then allt he images in that:

var thetable = document.getElementById("IDFORTABLE");
var imgs = document.getElementsByTagName("img");

Sidenote: Remember that getElementsByTagName returns a HTMLcollection
and not an Array.


--- Triggering Resizing ? ---

window.onresize = FUNCTIONNAME;

function FUNCTIONNAME()
{
GRABSIZE
CHANGESIZE
}


(Sorry for all the psudo code, I was in a hurry)


Maxi 04-07-2006 01:32 PM

Re: Resizing images per screen resolution
 

[on] wrote:
> Maxi wrote:
> > Is there any way in javascript to detect the system's screen resolution
> > first and accordingly resize the pictures?
> > For instance If i have pictures of 50 X 50 pixels then,
> > If screen resolution is 800 X 600, resize it to 24 X 24
> > if screen resolution is 1280 X 720, resize it to 32 X 32
> > if screen resilution is 1152 X 864, resize it to 40 X 70

>
> --- Detecting Resolution ---
>
> Moz:
> "Width: " + window.innerWidth + " Height: " + window.innerHeight
>
> IE:
> "Width: " + document.body.offsetWidth + " Height: " +
> document.body.offsetHeight
>
> (This was what I found, doing some searches online, might be a better
> way somewhere)
>
>
>
> --- Resizeing Image ---
>
> var imgs = document.getElementsByTagName("img");
> for (var i = 0;i < imgs.length;i++)
> {
> imgs.width = NEWWIDTH;
> imgs.height = NEWHEIGHT;
> }
>
>
> If you have other images in the page, you can first "grab" the table
> and then allt he images in that:
>
> var thetable = document.getElementById("IDFORTABLE");
> var imgs = document.getElementsByTagName("img");
>
> Sidenote: Remember that getElementsByTagName returns a HTMLcollection
> and not an Array.
>
>
> --- Triggering Resizing ? ---
>
> window.onresize = FUNCTIONNAME;
>
> function FUNCTIONNAME()
> {
> GRABSIZE
> CHANGESIZE
> }
>
>
> (Sorry for all the psudo code, I was in a hurry)


Thank you for the start. I will take it over from here....... Even I
need little bit of researching before I achieve what I want.


Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn 04-07-2006 02:56 PM

Re: Resizing images per screen resolution
 
Maxi wrote:

> I have a 30X16 cells table in my html page. Table height and width are
> set to 100%. I have set size of every cell inside the table to 24
> pixel.
>
> When I open the html page in maximize state in either resolution 800 X
> 600 or 1152 X 864 it takes up the entire explorer size.


No, it does not. You are having the common misconception that the display
resolution would have anything to do with the viewport size, because you
think that all people run their browsers in full screen mode (that is even
more than "full screen" window size; enlightening example for the latter:
<URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>).

> I know the reason, when you change the screen resolution, it has more
> pixels to display hence the problem.


That is not quite correct. With greater display resolution, there is more
space that any window can possibly occupy (up to full screen mode in some
browsers [type F11 in Geckos and IE]), hence more space the viewport of a
window can possibly occupy. However, the same thing happens when the
window is enlarged and the display resolution stays the same. And the
opposite happens with a smaller-than-fullscreen-sized window and the same
display resolution.

> What I want to know is, if I use pictures of 50 X 50 pixels into those
> tiny 24 X 24 pixel cells, can id grow and shrink automatically
> detecting the screen resolution?


You cannot detect the screen resolution, and even if you could, that would
not help you in any way (see the above screenshot). You can detect the
viewport size, but that would not help if client-side script support was
not present.

> Note:
> 1. I want each cell size to be 24 X 24 pixels. I Cannot modify this
> requirement.
> 2. I want the table height and width set to 100%. Cannot modify this
> either.


If you stopped misusing tables (there is no tabular data here) and used
floating elements (floats) for each slide instead, you would not have this
problem in the first place.

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/visuren.html#floats>

And certainly you do not want to resize the images according to display
resolution. Think about the effect on image display quality; a Web
browser is not an image manipulation program with built-in sophisticated
methods such as cubic scaling, anti-aliasing etc.


PointedEars

Maxi 04-07-2006 03:07 PM

Re: Resizing images per screen resolution
 
That was really helpful. May be I need to re-think on the design of my
html file.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Maxi wrote:
>
> > I have a 30X16 cells table in my html page. Table height and width are
> > set to 100%. I have set size of every cell inside the table to 24
> > pixel.
> >
> > When I open the html page in maximize state in either resolution 800 X
> > 600 or 1152 X 864 it takes up the entire explorer size.

>
> No, it does not. You are having the common misconception that the display
> resolution would have anything to do with the viewport size, because you
> think that all people run their browsers in full screen mode (that is even
> more than "full screen" window size; enlightening example for the latter:
> <URL:http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/fullscreen.jpeg>).
>
> > I know the reason, when you change the screen resolution, it has more
> > pixels to display hence the problem.

>
> That is not quite correct. With greater display resolution, there is more
> space that any window can possibly occupy (up to full screen mode in some
> browsers [type F11 in Geckos and IE]), hence more space the viewport of a
> window can possibly occupy. However, the same thing happens when the
> window is enlarged and the display resolution stays the same. And the
> opposite happens with a smaller-than-fullscreen-sized window and the same
> display resolution.
>
> > What I want to know is, if I use pictures of 50 X 50 pixels into those
> > tiny 24 X 24 pixel cells, can id grow and shrink automatically
> > detecting the screen resolution?

>
> You cannot detect the screen resolution, and even if you could, that would
> not help you in any way (see the above screenshot). You can detect the
> viewport size, but that would not help if client-side script support was
> not present.
>
> > Note:
> > 1. I want each cell size to be 24 X 24 pixels. I Cannot modify this
> > requirement.
> > 2. I want the table height and width set to 100%. Cannot modify this
> > either.

>
> If you stopped misusing tables (there is no tabular data here) and used
> floating elements (floats) for each slide instead, you would not have this
> problem in the first place.
>
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/visuren.html#floats>
>
> And certainly you do not want to resize the images according to display
> resolution. Think about the effect on image display quality; a Web
> browser is not an image manipulation program with built-in sophisticated
> methods such as cubic scaling, anti-aliasing etc.
>
>
> PointedEars



Randy Webb 04-07-2006 07:54 PM

Re: Resizing images per screen resolution
 
Maxi said the following on 4/7/2006 9:32 AM:
> [on] wrote:
>> Maxi wrote:
>>> Is there any way in javascript to detect the system's screen resolution
>>> first and accordingly resize the pictures?


No need for javascript to do it.

> Thank you for the start. I will take it over from here....... Even I
> need little bit of researching before I achieve what I want.


<img style="width:100%;height:100%">

Try it.

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.