Velocity Reviews

-   -   deciding to open new window serverside (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t922526-deciding-to-open-new-window-serverside.html)

Charlie Garrett-Jones 01-20-2006 09:34 PM

deciding to open new window serverside

i have a server side generated web application that provides parameter forms
and always opens the associated reports in a new browser window. the code
that controls the opening of the new browser window is simply html
target='_blank'. but now there is some business rules that may be checked
server side only. so if the data provided fails, i want the same target
window as the parameter form and if it passes i want a new window.

can anyone provide me with some clues as to the best method of doing this?

thanks in advance.

--
charlie

McKirahan 01-20-2006 09:54 PM

Re: deciding to open new window serverside

"Charlie Garrett-Jones" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> i have a server side generated web application that provides parameter

forms
> and always opens the associated reports in a new browser window. the code
> that controls the opening of the new browser window is simply html
> target='_blank'. but now there is some business rules that may be checked
> server side only. so if the data provided fails, i want the same target
> window as the parameter form and if it passes i want a new window.
>
> can anyone provide me with some clues as to the best method of doing this?
>
> thanks in advance.

Does the window of the parameter form have a name?

You can assign a name to the target and use it repeatedly.

For example, target="Report" (and target="Form").

Charlie Garrett-Jones 01-22-2006 10:14 PM

Re: deciding to open new window serverside

thanks for the reply,

but this would be for one window writting to another, correct? i want to be
able to write to the parameter window or a open a new window and decide this
server side. is javascript the way to go here?

charlie garrett-jones

McKirahan 01-22-2006 10:59 PM

McKirahan 01-22-2006 11:03 PM

Re: deciding to open new window serverside

"Charlie Garrett-Jones" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> thanks for the reply,
>
> but this would be for one window writting to another, correct? i want to

be
> able to write to the parameter window or a open a new window and decide

this
> server side. is javascript the way to go here?
>
> charlie garrett-jones
>
> > "Charlie Garrett-Jones" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >> i have a server side generated web application that provides parameter

> > forms
> >> and always opens the associated reports in a new browser window. the

code
> >> that controls the opening of the new browser window is simply html
> >> target='_blank'. but now there is some business rules that may be

checked
> >> server side only. so if the data provided fails, i want the same target
> >> window as the parameter form and if it passes i want a new window.
> >>
> >> can anyone provide me with some clues as to the best method of doing
> >> this?
> >>
> >> thanks in advance.

Sorry but I don't really understand what your trying to do.

What is a "parameter window" or "parameter forms"?

Perhaps you want Server.Execute() or Server.Transfer()

The New ASP 3.0 Server Methods

"The Server.Execute method is a new ASP method, introduced with IIS 5.0 for
a first time. You can execute a child ASP page with the Server.Execute and
treat the child ASP page as part of the main page."

Charlie Garrett-Jones 01-23-2006 02:12 AM

Re: deciding to open new window serverside

thanks again for the response.

the "parameter window" and the "parameter form" are the same window.

essentially, i would like to know whether there is some html or header that
i can manipulate serverside to either populated the calling browser window
or open a new window and populate that. no asp here.

thanks in advance.

charlie garrett-jones

McKirahan 01-23-2006 02:39 AM

> thanks again for the response.
>
> the "parameter window" and the "parameter form" are the same window.
>
> essentially, i would like to know whether there is some html or header

that
> i can manipulate serverside to either populated the calling browser window
> or open a new window and populate that. no asp here.
>
> thanks in advance.

[snip]

You might also look into AJAX:
Asynchronous JavaScript and XML.

Google it for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX
"Asynchronous JavaScript And XML, or its acronym Ajax, is a Web development
technique for creating interactive web applications. "