Velocity Reviews

-   -   [JAVASCRIPT, PHP, MYSQL] Pass Variable from a non-trigger frame to another. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t921940-javascript-php-mysql-pass-variable-from-a-non-trigger-frame-to-another.html)

mailing@allstream.net 12-16-2005 10:46 PM

[JAVASCRIPT, PHP, MYSQL] Pass Variable from a non-trigger frame to another.

Hello, I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
I have 4 frames to my site. Two Rows, Two Columns.
|--------------------------------|-------------------------|
| | |
| 1 | 2 |
| | |
|--------------------------------|-------------------------|
| | |
| | |
| 3 | 4 |
| | |
| | |
| | |
|--------------------------------|-------------------------|

Frame one is a search form - by city, province and postal code. The
results are shown in frame 4. Frame 3 is a map and frame 2 is a static
frame.

How its working now:
Once the person submits their search methond and search string
(clicking on a submit button) frame 4 will list all the locations in
that province for them to view. If a person would like to map a
specific location from frame 4, they can click on a link and it will
map it in frame #3. (All done via PHP, MYSQL, HTML and GOOGLE's API)

What I would like to happen:
Upon clicking the submit button in frame 1 (ie. say they select
province), I would like frame 3 to map all of the results listed in
frame #4. The only way I can think of accomplishing this is by, having
frame 4 refresh frame 3 and append a URL encoded string with the
coordinates.

I am a newbie when it comes to javascript and I need some help to
confirm if the following is correct.

I have the following code at the end of Frame #4 - hoping that when it
finishes displaying the results, it will reload frame 3.
FRAME 4 CONTENTS (frame4.php) // frame3 is the name of the frame
<!--
fucntion refresh() {
parent.frames["frame3"].location.href = "frame3.php?<? echo
$URLSTRING; ?>";
}
-->
</script>

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Thank you,
Jay Vee

mailing@allstream.net 12-16-2005 10:53 PM

Re: Pass Variable from a non-trigger frame to another.

After posting this, I realized that I spelled function wrong. I
corrected it and it worked. Silly me. Since I already posted it, is
there a way of having the values of the submit form sent to two frames
at the same time? ... I have seen a few scripts on how to do it on an
HREF, but that wont submit the form variables.

Thanks again, and sorry for my silly mistake.
Jay Vee