Velocity Reviews

-   -   NVIDIA to launch 'open driver'? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t92-nvidia-to-launch-open-driver.html)

Silverstrand 06-23-2005 04:06 PM

NVIDIA to launch 'open driver'?

GeForce 7800 GTX has landed, adding to the range of SLi capable products, and at the mainstream end of the market 6600s now support SLi. NVIDIA's SLi is clearly becoming more flexible, but how can it compete with ATi's CrossFire, which supports using different cards together?
Quote:
ATi have stated that their solution will support different cards, which delivers an upgrade solution to current ATi card users.
We find it very likely that NVIDIA will release a new driver soon which will allow the support of 'un-matched' cards, and if what has been whispered to us turns out to be true SLi will deliver an impressive upgrade path.
Link: http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMzE0

unholy 06-24-2005 05:23 AM

:D SLi will always be a more expensive and better solution... because u have the award winning nForces. :D
and the nVidia GeForces! :D

zachig 06-26-2005 05:41 AM

I think SLI is great. I'm really satisfied with my current XFX 6600GT AGP, after i switched from an old Radeon 9600Pro.
I've always been an ATI fan, but i got dissappointed, and now i moved to the other side.

unholy 06-26-2005 07:16 AM

Same, i think it better to go nVidia, purely because ATi are trying to win... its like the AMD vs Intel... but when u look at it. its Nvidia = AMD vs Intel = ATi
But the SLi is also on Intel Platforms, some companies are even making there own pat of SLi so u can have Dual Opterons running SLi or even dual p4's :D so in the future i can say "hey look at my cheapo 8 core FX system... i really need to get a few more cores :("

werty316 06-26-2005 04:25 PM

Is nVidia scared of ATI's Crossfire solution there nVidia's SLi? I think so

unholy 06-26-2005 04:40 PM

No SLi was a quick release. Like every game that comes out. it must be done by a deadline or theres alot of trouble. Look at Vavle for instance they moved the deadline for HL2 alot... they ended up in pain. Drivers are what we need Software based enumeration of the Arctectures. so we can change how the system transfers data :D