Velocity Reviews

-   -   swap fonts' size (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t918518-swap-fonts-size.html)

Cartel 06-07-2005 01:19 PM

swap fonts' size

Hello, I wish to modify the dimension of the font within a given table (that
is, not yet in the whole page); when I hit a button, the font's size
increases by 1 point; another button decreases it by 1 point (starting from
the default size), and a last button will reset it to the original size.

Pratically, whichever might be the default size (which I set from three css,
swapped accordingly to the screen's res), the text inside that table it
should be resized only by step of +1 or -1 point from the default size. Any
ideas?

Randy Webb 06-07-2005 04:37 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

Cartel wrote:
> Hello, I wish to modify the dimension of the font within a given table (that
> is, not yet in the whole page); when I hit a button, the font's size
> increases by 1 point; another button decreases it by 1 point (starting from
> the default size), and a last button will reset it to the original size.
>
> Pratically, whichever might be the default size (which I set from three css,
> swapped accordingly to the screen's res), the text inside that table it
> should be resized only by step of +1 or -1 point from the default size. Any
> ideas?

Yeah, I have an idea or two. Let the user use the built-in mechanism for
adjusting font sizes. Thats what it is there for.

Second idea: What has my screen resolution got to do with anything?
Well, anything other than my resolution. I promise you that 600X800 on
my 19" monitor does *not* look/perform the same as 600X800 on a 15 inch
monitor. Nor does it matter when it comes to the size of my browser
window. If I have a 600x800 browser window on a 2560x960 dual monitor
desktop, what in the world makes you think I want some huge monster font
on the page?

Stop f**king with the fonts - end of problem.

--
Randy

Cartel 06-07-2005 05:47 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

"Randy Webb" <HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Yeah, I have an idea or two. Let the user use the built-in mechanism for
> adjusting font sizes. Thats what it is there for.

I've asked for ideas, not yet for "opinions".

> Second idea: What has my screen resolution got to do with anything? Well,
> anything other than my resolution. I promise you that 600X800 on my 19"
> monitor does *not* look/perform the same as 600X800 on a 15 inch monitor.
> Nor does it matter when it comes to the size of my browser window. If I
> have a 600x800 browser window on a 2560x960 dual monitor desktop, what in
> the world makes you think I want some huge monster font on the page?

UH? Sorry..... Are you ok?

> Stop f**king with the fonts - end of problem.

Feeling lonely? Or just kinda philosophical?

(repeat)

Some serious scripts?

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen 06-07-2005 06:16 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

"Cartel" <bm_acme@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I wish to modify the dimension of the font within a given table (that
> is, not yet in the whole page); when I hit a button, the font's size
> increases by 1 point; another button decreases it by 1 point (starting from
> the default size), and a last button will reset it to the original size.

That's hard if you don't know the original size. If you want the button
to increase the font size by 10%, then it's much easier. E.g.:

----
<script type="text/javascript">
var size = 0;
var delta = 10;
function fontSize(n) {
if (n == 0) {
size = 0;
} else {
size += n;
}
document.getElementById("tableId").style.fontSize =
(100 + size * delta) + "%";
}
</script>

<input type="button" value="A-" onclick="fontSize(-1);">
<input type="button" value="A!" onclick="fontSize(0);">
<input type="button" value="A+" onclick="fontSize(+1);">
---

> Pratically, whichever might be the default size (which I set from three css,
> swapped accordingly to the screen's res),

Bad idea. The screen resolution tells you nothing about the actual
size of either browser or screen. I have a laptop with an extra CRT
screen attached. The larger CRT screen has the lower resolution (and I
can only begin to guess what you would think the screen resolution is
:).

Just go with the user's configured default font size.

> the text inside that table it should be resized only by step of +1
> or -1 point from the default size. Any ideas?

If it is imperative that the steps are 1 point, then you have to find
the current size *in points*. That might not even be possible, if you
don't have it provided to your script by whoever choses the style
sheet. What you can find, in some browsers, is the computed value of
the font size, which is probably in pixels, and there is no way to go
from pixels to points.

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lrn@hotpop.com

Cartel 06-07-2005 06:51 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

"Lasse Reichstein Nielsen" <lrn@hotpop.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> If it is imperative that the steps are 1 point,

sorry, **pixels** :(

then you have to find
> the current size *in points*. That might not even be possible, if you
> don't have it provided to your script by whoever choses the style
> sheet.

Indeed, in order to avoid these probs (I guess), I arranged the thing so
that the three css's are swapped by a javascript accordingly to the user's
resolution :) (800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and above).

It isn't the user who choses the css's manually.

I use three css 'cause nowaday many people have screens which run over
1680.....

My fault, I didn't mentioned this. So that's why I found feasible a script
which swaps the size by 1 px step.

Cartel 06-07-2005 07:01 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

Cartel 06-07-2005 07:28 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

ps.: doesn't work; maybe 'cause the pages where it is enbedded, are
dynamically generated?

Cartel 06-07-2005 07:29 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

Noozer 06-07-2005 07:35 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

> Indeed, in order to avoid these probs (I guess), I arranged the thing so
> that the three css's are swapped by a javascript accordingly to the user's
> resolution :) (800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and above).

Why???

A properly written site works on ALL monitors. If you have to specify
different CSS for different (and always incorrect) browser sizes you haven't
developed a good site.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen 06-07-2005 08:20 PM

Re: swap fonts' size

"Cartel" <bm_acme@hotmail.com> writes:

> "Lasse Reichstein Nielsen" <lrn@hotpop.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> If it is imperative that the steps are 1 point,

> sorry, **pixels** :(

Ah, probably much easier :)

> Indeed, in order to avoid these probs (I guess), I arranged the thing so
> that the three css's are swapped by a javascript accordingly to the user's
> resolution :) (800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and above).

I hope you are not going for exact matches for the first two. My
screens at work are currently 1152px and 1440px wide. Put together,
that gives a desktop that is 2592px wide, and a varying number of
pixels high :). However, I normally run the browser on the screen
with the lower resolution, so if you choose style sheet based on
screen.width, I would get the wrong one.

You cannot expect to predict the possible resolutions. There are
browsers in mobile phones these days. Some of them might reach 800
pixels width, but not all. Some 19' monitors run at 1280x1024. Some
14' monitors run at 1440x1050. The resolution doesn't tell you the
size of the pixels, only their number.

Trying to guess what a readable font is for the user, even based on
screen.width, is impossible, and bound to give problems for some
people. It is better to just stick to the user's default font size and
not try to be smart.

> It isn't the user who choses the css's manually.

I was guessing a server side script, but a client side one is just as
good. In the branches that selects the style sheet, you can set a variable
to the font size that is used, so you have it for your script.

> I use three css 'cause nowaday many people have screens which run over
> 1680.....

I would if my screen allowed it. At home I am stuck at 1600x1200
.... but I never run my browser full screen, so the resolution really
isn't important. The browser size is.

> My fault, I didn't mentioned this. So that's why I found feasible a script
> which swaps the size by 1 px step.

I would still let the script deciding the style also set a variable
with the original font size. Then just use a simple script similar to
the one I gave earlier to increase it in steps of one at a time.

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lrn@hotpop.com