Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Javascript (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f68-javascript.html)
-   -   Javascript close popup (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t917819-javascript-close-popup.html)

Colin Graham 04-28-2005 09:34 AM

Javascript close popup
 
Hi guys,

Just a quickie here that i hope someone can help me with. Basically i
want stop the user from closing the popup window using the small x
button in the top right hand corner. Im aware that i cant disable this
so i thought is it possible to do a check to see if a hidden text on
the main form has a value. E.g. if we close the popup correctly then
text box on the main form will say true. If we close the text box
using the x in the right hand corner the text box will say false or
just be empty and then make the popup reapppear.

Is this possible and if so would anyone have any example of how i
would go about this because im pretty useless and new to javascript.

thanks in advance

CG

Evertjan. 04-28-2005 10:52 AM

Re: Javascript close popup
 
Colin Graham wrote on 28 apr 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
> Just a quickie here that i hope someone can help me with. Basically i
> want stop the user from closing the popup window using the small x
> button in the top right hand corner. Im aware that i cant disable this
> so i thought is it possible to do a check to see if a hidden text on
> the main form has a value. E.g. if we close the popup correctly then
> text box on the main form will say true. If we close the text box
> using the x in the right hand corner the text box will say false or
> just be empty and then make the popup reapppear.
>
> Is this possible and if so would anyone have any example of how i
> would go about this because im pretty useless and new to javascript.


If you are pretty useless and new to javascript,
how do you know this is just a quickie, Colin?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)


Stephen Vick 04-28-2005 03:21 PM

Re: Javascript close popup
 
You could add a window.open in the OnBeforeUnload event of the body to
open the window. Pretty annoying though.


-Vick


Grant Wagner 04-28-2005 04:03 PM

Re: Javascript close popup
 
"Colin Graham" <csgraham74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ee261922.0504280134.5bf02128@posting.google.c om...
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a quickie here that i hope someone can help me with. Basically i
> want stop the user from closing the popup window using the small x
> button in the top right hand corner. Im aware that i cant disable this
> so i thought is it possible to do a check to see if a hidden text on
> the main form has a value. E.g. if we close the popup correctly then
> text box on the main form will say true. If we close the text box
> using the x in the right hand corner the text box will say false or
> just be empty and then make the popup reapppear.


Do the reverse. Have the parent test if the child window is still open
using setInterval(). If the parent detects the child has closed it
re-spawns the window. The way to stop the cycle is have a "Close" button
on the child that properly terminates the timer in the parent before
closing the window.

<script type="text/javascript">
window.newWindowHtml = [
'<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">',
'<html>',
'<head>',
'<title>Test</title>',
'</head>',
'<body onload="opener.startTimer();">',
'<a href="#" onclick="opener.stopTimer();window.close();return
false;">Close</a>',
'</body>',
'</html>'
].join('\n');
function openWindow()
{
window.w = window.open('javascript:opener.newWindowHtml');
}
function startTimer()
{
window.timer = setInterval(testWindow, 500);
}
function stopTimer()
{
if (window.timer)
{
clearInterval(window.timer);
}
}
function testWindow()
{
if (!w || w.closed)
{
openWindow();
}
testWindow.toString = function()
{
return 'testWindow();';
}
}

openWindow();
</script>

REALLY annoying, but it seems to meet your requirements.

--
Grant Wagner <gwagner@agricoreunited.com>
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq

Pretty annoying, but it would work.



Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn 05-08-2005 06:43 PM

Re: Javascript close popup
 
Stephen Vick wrote:

> You could add a window.open in the OnBeforeUnload event
> of the body to open the window. Pretty annoying though.


And IE only, fortunately.


PointedEars


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.