Velocity Reviews

-   -   Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t916119-change-text-color-for-one-document-write-but-not-color-of-all-text.html)

kroger@princeton.edu 01-29-2005 10:41 PM

Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?

Hi, one part of my website is at:

http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html

I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
the pictures also changes.

How can I control the color of the result of
document.write output without changing the
forground color of the entire page? Note my
document write includes variables, so I was
hesitant to imbed an html command in the
document.write.

Thanks much in advance for any pointers....
Jim

Stephen Chalmers 01-30-2005 02:08 AM

Re: Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?

<kroger@princeton.edu> wrote in message
news:1107038498.074086.115160@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi, one part of my website is at:
>
> http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html
>

> I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
> But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
> the pictures also changes.
>
> How can I control the color of the result of
> document.write output without changing the
> forground color of the entire page? Note my
> document write includes variables, so I was
> hesitant to imbed an html command in the
> document.write.
>
> Thanks much in advance for any pointers....
> Jim

var i=12345;

document.write("I'm GREEN text and here's a variable in red:
".fontcolor('green') +i.toString().fontcolor("red"));

--
S.C.

RobG 01-30-2005 03:38 AM

kroger@princeton.edu wrote:
> Hi, one part of my website is at:
>
> http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html
>

> I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
> But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
> the pictures also changes.
>
> How can I control the color of the result of
> document.write output without changing the
> forground color of the entire page? Note my

Wrap it in a <span> with the appropriate colour. Your
"get date" function is a bit rough too, suggested
improvement below.

Using arrays for months and days is considerably more
efficient than your multiple if's.

> document write includes variables, so I was
> hesitant to imbed an html command in the
> document.write.

HTML is not "commands", it is markup that is interpreted.
It may seem a trivial point, but there you go. You have
no other way of controlling the colour of the element
than using markup, so use it. I have used a span and style,
but you could use a class too.

<head>
<title>play</title>
<script type="text/javascript">

function clientDate(){
var months = ['January','February','March',
'April','May','June','July',
'August','September','October',
'November','','December'];

var days = ['Sunday','Monday','Tuesday',
'Wednesday','Thursday','Friday',
'Saturday'];

var now = new Date();

return days[now.getDay()]
+ ', ' + months[now.getMonth()]
+ ' ' + now.getDate()
+ ', ' + now.getFullYear();
}
</script>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<span style="color: #333366">' +
clientDate() + '</span>');
</script>

--
Rob

Mick White 01-30-2005 05:00 AM

RobG wrote:
> kroger@princeton.edu wrote:
>
>>Hi, one part of my website is at:
>>
>>http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html
>>

>>I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
>>But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
>>the pictures also changes.
>>
>>How can I control the color of the result of
>>document.write output without changing the
>>forground color of the entire page? Note my

> Wrap it in a <span> with the appropriate colour. Your
> "get date" function is a bit rough too, suggested
> improvement below.
>
> Using arrays for months and days is considerably more
> efficient than your multiple if's.
>

>>document write includes variables, so I was
>>hesitant to imbed an html command in the
>>document.write.

> HTML is not "commands", it is markup that is interpreted.
> It may seem a trivial point, but there you go. You have
> no other way of controlling the colour of the element
> than using markup, so use it. I have used a span and style,
> but you could use a class too.

> <head>
> <title>play</title>
> <script type="text/javascript">
>
> function clientDate(){
> var months = ['January','February','March',
> 'April','May','June','July',
> 'August','September','October',
> 'November','','December'];

Empty string between Nov and Dec?
Mick

RobG 01-30-2005 08:15 AM

Re: Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?

Quite right, but frankly I'd rather December was banished from the
calendar, then I'd not get any older...

--
Rob

kroger@princeton.edu 01-31-2005 12:05 AM

Re: Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?

Wow, thanks Rob for the help with text color on my dates! I learned a
lot!

Thanks to you as well, S.C. ....

Great place, usenet....

Jim

kroger@princeton.edu 02-02-2005 01:41 AM

Re: Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?

Say, Rob, why do you put the function declaration in the head, and the
call in the body?

Thanks
Jim

Mick White 02-02-2005 01:23 PM

kroger@princeton.edu wrote:

> Say, Rob, why do you put the function declaration in the head, and the
> call in the body?

Because that's where you want the date to display.
Mick