Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: A couple questions about Outlook 2003 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t915508-re-a-couple-questions-about-outlook-2003-a.html)

Tony Luxton 03-23-2012 03:33 PM

On 23/03/2012 11:31 am, Fredd Wright wrote:
> Thanks to the guys who helped me out with my conversion to Outlook 2003. I
> was able to get everything over EXCEPT something i didn't think to ask
> about. It seems that Outlook doesn't handle newsgroups. I had to go back
> to my old PC and Outlook Express to post this. Can someone direct me to a
> decent (hopefully free) simple software that will allow me to read
> newsgroups. I tried a search but the programs i see are for downloading
> binaries. I'm just looking to be able to browse usenet.
>
> Also, about a year ago, my sent folder in OE hit the 2GB limit and it
> stopped working. I created a new .dbx file. I was able to use a third
> party software to extract most of the old sent emails in .eml format. Now
> that i am using Outlook 2003 with a Unicode PST that is not subject to the
> 2GB limit, is there any way to put the old sent emails into my sent folder
> in Outlook?
>
> Fredd

Yep. Just drag'n'drop them.

Not many people seem to know about this - you can drag and drop .eml
files in and out of Outlook, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird. And
they're just the ones I know about. It's how I back up all my emails - a
..eml file will open in your email client from Explorer by default.

Tony Luxton 03-24-2012 06:58 PM

On 23/03/2012 7:49 pm, Fredd Wright wrote:
> So easy! Thanks!

YW, glad I could help. :)

- Bobb - 03-31-2012 04:37 PM

Re: A couple questions about Outlook 2003

But Outlook Express newsgroup folders are " .dbx" files, right ?

I have no .eml files in my OE6 'Data Store' Folder - just dbx files - one
for each group.

Tony Luxton 04-01-2012 10:04 AM

On 31/03/2012 5:37 pm, - Bobb - wrote:
> But Outlook Express newsgroup folders are " .dbx" files, right ?
>
> I have no .eml files in my OE6 'Data Store' Folder - just dbx files - one
> for each group.
>
> "Tony Luxton"<s.a.luxtonDELETETHIS@talk21.com> wrote in message
>> On 23/03/2012 11:31 am, Fredd Wright wrote:
>>> Thanks to the guys who helped me out with my conversion to Outlook 2003.
>>> was able to get everything over EXCEPT something i didn't think to ask
>>> about. It seems that Outlook doesn't handle newsgroups. I had to go
>>> back
>>> to my old PC and Outlook Express to post this. Can someone direct me to
>>> decent (hopefully free) simple software that will allow me to read
>>> newsgroups. I tried a search but the programs i see are for downloading
>>> binaries. I'm just looking to be able to browse usenet.
>>>
>>> Also, about a year ago, my sent folder in OE hit the 2GB limit and it
>>> stopped working. I created a new .dbx file. I was able to use a third
>>> party software to extract most of the old sent emails in .eml format.
>>> Now
>>> that i am using Outlook 2003 with a Unicode PST that is not subject to
>>> the
>>> 2GB limit, is there any way to put the old sent emails into my sent
>>> folder
>>> in Outlook?
>>>
>>> Fredd
>>>

>> Yep. Just drag'n'drop them.
>>
>> Not many people seem to know about this - you can drag and drop .eml files
>> in and out of Outlook, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird. And they're just
>> the ones I know about. It's how I back up all my emails - a .eml file will
>> open in your email client from Explorer by default.

No, open OE and drag an email (from the interface of OE) to (say) your
desktop. Or any other folder. It will be copied to that location as a
..eml file. Don't forget that you can drag and drop multiple emails if
you select them first - for example, <control+A> will select them all.

- Bobb - 04-01-2012 12:39 PM

> On 31/03/2012 5:37 pm, - Bobb - wrote:
>> But Outlook Express newsgroup folders are " .dbx" files, right ?
>>
>> I have no .eml files in my OE6 'Data Store' Folder - just dbx files - one
>> for each group.
>>
>> "Tony Luxton"<s.a.luxtonDELETETHIS@talk21.com> wrote in message

>>> Yep. Just drag'n'drop them.
>>>
>>> Not many people seem to know about this - you can drag and drop .eml
>>> files
>>> in and out of Outlook, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird. And they're
>>> just
>>> the ones I know about. It's how I back up all my emails - a .eml file
>>> will
>>> open in your email client from Explorer by default.

> No, open OE and drag an email (from the interface of OE) to (say) your
> desktop. Or any other folder. It will be copied to that location as a .eml
> file. Don't forget that you can drag and drop multiple emails if you
> select them first - for example, <control+A> will select them all.

So if I drag from OE to Outlook they end up in the pst file whne I exit ? As
a copy ? or lose the original from dbx file ?
I'll have to play around with that.
Thanks for the info

Tony Luxton 04-01-2012 12:59 PM

Re: A couple questions about Outlook 2003

> So if I drag from OE to Outlook they end up in the pst file whne I exit ? As
> a copy ? or lose the original from dbx file ?

I don't know - I just tried it between OE and Thunderbird and it didn't
seem to work.
> I'll have to play around with that.

Post back with what you find, I'd be interested to know.
> Thanks for the info

YW :)