Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: $25 ISP Piracy warning charge (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t915486-re-25-isp-piracy-warning-charge.html)

Me 03-23-2012 08:26 AM

On 23/03/2012 8:16 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
> Greg Wong<gwong@chinatown.cn> wrote:
>

>> I have just heard from a mate that they want this ISP fee remove or
>> dropped to say $3.
>>
>> Why to we have pander to the Yank Dictator.?
>>
>> Do we also need this bad free trade deal.?

> Yep..

Why?

Peter 03-23-2012 11:24 PM

Me wrote:

> On 23/03/2012 8:16 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
>> Greg Wong<gwong@chinatown.cn> wrote:
>>

>>> I have just heard from a mate that they want this ISP fee remove or
>>> dropped to say $3.
>>>
>>> Why to we have pander to the Yank Dictator.?
>>>
>>> Do we also need this bad free trade deal.?

>> Yep..

> Why?

Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
power) agreed to it.

-Newsman- 03-24-2012 09:24 PM

Re: $25 ISP Piracy warning charge

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:24:02 +1300, Peter <nospamjynyl@yahoo.co.nz>
wrote:

>Me wrote:

>>> Yep..

>> Why?

>Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
>power) agreed to it.

You are conflating 'need' with 'obligation' - false argument.

Rich80105@hotmail.com 03-25-2012 12:17 AM

wrote:

>Me wrote:

>>> Yep..

>> Why?

>Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
>power) agreed to it.

What agreement are you referring to, Peter?

Me 03-25-2012 10:22 PM

On 26/03/2012 8:23 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
> Rich80105@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:24:02 +1300, Peter<nospamjynyl@yahoo.co.nz>
>> wrote:

>>> Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
>>> power) agreed to it.

>> What agreement are you referring to, Peter?

> To get a FTA with the US both Labor and National are prepared to sell
> out Kiwis to the US media companies..

Isn't part of the thread above alluding to the possibility that it may
be a "bad" FTA anyway?
I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
cost.

Donchano 03-25-2012 10:45 PM

Re: $25 ISP Piracy warning charge

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:22:18 +1300, Me <user@example.net> shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
>as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
>supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
>a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
>cost.

Au contraire. IMO NZ produces far better mass produced cheeses for the
general market. But NZ cheese makers still don't offer Monterey Jack -
which is one of my all-time favourites. And Yank boutique cheese
makers are equal to NZ's. So are those in Ireland, the UK, France,
Switzerland, etc. But I agree that NZ makes the best bulk cheeses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Jack

Me 03-25-2012 11:12 PM

On 26/03/2012 11:45 a.m., Donchano wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:22:18 +1300, Me<user@example.net> shouted from
> the highest rooftop:
>
>> I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
>> as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
>> supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
>> a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
>> cost.

> Au contraire. IMO NZ produces far better mass produced cheeses for the
> general market. But NZ cheese makers still don't offer Monterey Jack -
> which is one of my all-time favourites. And Yank boutique cheese
> makers are equal to NZ's. So are those in Ireland, the UK, France,
> Switzerland, etc. But I agree that NZ makes the best bulk cheeses.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Jack

When they start putting boutique cheese in 1/4 pounders, then you have a
point, perhaps.
But an FTA which guarantees free trade in specialty products, but would
exclude commodities (as it almost certainly would) is hardly worth using
as toilet paper.

Bruce Sinclair 03-26-2012 12:09 AM

In article <jkj0mi$ruq$1@dont-email.me>, Peter <nospamjynyl@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>Me wrote:

>>> Yep..

>> Why?

>Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
>power) agreed to it.

As my granny used to say ...

Want is not the same as need ! :)

Bruce Sinclair 03-26-2012 12:10 AM

Re: $25 ISP Piracy warning charge

In article <p3sum7929l38fd6d2opjs2leae5uvh7uv2@4ax.com>, Mutlley <mutley2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
(snip)
>To get a FTA with the US both Labor and National are prepared to sell
>out Kiwis to the US media companies..

... and to sell many other supposed principles for some (probably imagined)
money. While not a new idea, it is still wrong. :)

Bruce Sinclair 03-26-2012 12:11 AM

Re: $25 ISP Piracy warning charge

In article <jko5qt$sgt$1@news.albasani.net>, Me <user@example.net> wrote:
(snip)

>Isn't part of the thread above alluding to the possibility that it may
>be a "bad" FTA anyway?
>I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
>as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
>supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
>a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
>cost.

Except, the free trade deal would very likely notably exclude things that NZ
makes/exports. Like cheese.

Farming lobby in the US is strong. :)