Velocity Reviews

-   -   newsgroups on perl (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t914735-newsgroups-on-perl.html)

K4 Monk 02-23-2011 11:27 PM

newsgroups on perl

which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
in the perl community?

Randal L. Schwartz 02-24-2011 01:16 AM

Re: newsgroups on perl

K4> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
K4> in the perl community?

It's not like there's a long list.

comp.lang.perl.announce
comp.lang.perl.misc
comp.lang.perl.moderated
comp.lang.perl.modules
comp.lang.perl.tk

That's it.

Jim Gibson 02-24-2011 05:47 PM

Re: newsgroups on perl

In article
<054b8801-93a7-483b-a294-4a60676e733b@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com>, K4
Monk <k4monk@gmail.com> wrote:

> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
> in the perl community?

perldoc -q newsgroups

--
Jim Gibson

Ralph Malph 02-24-2011 06:51 PM

Re: newsgroups on perl

On 2/24/2011 12:47 PM, Jim Gibson wrote:
> In article
> <054b8801-93a7-483b-a294-4a60676e733b@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com>, K4
> Monk<k4monk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
>> in the perl community?

> perldoc -q newsgroups

This answer is incorrect. The OP is asking about which are "most active".
Responding with an irrelevant command line reveals a severe case of
social retardation.
The answer is: comp.lang.perl.misc is the most active. comp.lang.perl.tk
gets a light amount of traffic and the rest
of the perl groups are currently all but dead. These things change. Or
they should. UseNet isn't very popular right now.
Oh, and there are a number of perl.* groups. Some of these get some
action. I think the perl6 ones are the most active. They probably aren't
what you(or anybody else) are looking for. They seem to mainly mirror
narrowly focused mailing lists.

Randal L. Schwartz 02-24-2011 10:49 PM

Re: newsgroups on perl

Ralph> Oh, and there are a number of perl.* groups.

But those are not "news" groups in the sense of "news" == "usenet". As
they are not even usenet groups.

Maybe your *local* server provides access to them via its NNTP
interface, but they are not *news* groups in any proper sense of the word.

K4 Monk 02-24-2011 11:54 PM

Re: newsgroups on perl

On Feb 25, 3:49*am, mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> Ralph> Oh, and there are a number of perl.* groups.
>
> But those are not "news" groups in the sense of "news" == "usenet". *As
> they are not even usenet groups.
>
> Maybe your *local* server provides access to them via its NNTP
> interface, but they are not *news* groups in any proper sense of the word..

> <mer...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> Seehttp://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/for Smalltalk discussion

I see. It seems that I'm already at the right newsgroup!
Thanks to you all!

brian d foy 02-25-2011 11:37 AM

Re: newsgroups on perl

In article <89da7$4d66a8cc$ce534406$26602@news.eurofeeds.com> , Ralph
Malph <ralph@happydays.com> wrote:

> On 2/24/2011 12:47 PM, Jim Gibson wrote:
> > In article
> > <054b8801-93a7-483b-a294-4a60676e733b@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com>, K4
> > Monk<k4monk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
> >> in the perl community?

> > perldoc -q newsgroups

> This answer is incorrect. The OP is asking about which are "most active".

The ones in the FAQ are the most active newsgroups. The FAQ also
mentions the NNTP interface to the Perl mailing lists. We write the FAQ
so you know those things. :)