Velocity Reviews

-   -   books on perl (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t914719-books-on-perl.html)

K4 Monk 02-21-2011 03:16 PM

books on perl

can someone be so kind to point out some good perl books? I've
programmed in perl for a few years now but only to write small scripts
etc. and never went deep down to even find out stuff like proper use
of regex or parsing long strings for repeat patterns etc. Any help
would be appreciated.

ccc31807 02-21-2011 04:02 PM

Re: books on perl

On Feb 21, 10:16*am, K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can someone be so kind to point out some good perl books? I've
> programmed in perl for a few years now but only to write small scripts
> etc. and never went deep down to even find out stuff like proper use
> of regex or parsing long strings for repeat patterns etc. Any help
> would be appreciated.

In my opinion, the best book not on a beginner level is 'Higher Order
Perl' by Mark Jason Dominus. You can get it for free at
http://hop.perl.plover.com/
but I strongly recommend buying it, not least because it encourages
others to write such books.

You can also obtain books for special topics, like the Perl DBI, Perl
CGI, networking, object oriented Perl, data munging, best practices,
Perl and TK, and so on. Speaking for myself, the two most important
books in my Perl development are data munging by Cross, and Perl and
MySQL by Dubois, although both of these books are regarded poorly by
the Perl community as a whole.

Finally, the most essential 'book' is the Perl documentation. I
constantly keep this open on my computer, and have been known to
actually print dead tree copies of particular sections and study them.
You really can't consider this as a text -- the purpose isn't (in most
cases) to instruct -- but the documentation is the one thing that
every Perl developer should know and love.

CC.

Justin C 02-21-2011 04:31 PM

Re: books on perl

On 2011-02-21, K4 Monk <k4monk@gmail.com> wrote:
> can someone be so kind to point out some good perl books? I've
> programmed in perl for a few years now but only to write small scripts
> etc. and never went deep down to even find out stuff like proper use
> of regex or parsing long strings for repeat patterns etc. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Ask perl: `perldoc -q book`

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Ekki (DF4OR) Plicht 02-21-2011 04:53 PM

Re: books on perl

K4 Monk wrote:

> can someone be so kind to point out some good perl books? I've
> programmed in perl for a few years now but only to write small scripts
> etc. and never went deep down to even find out stuff like proper use
> of regex or parsing long strings for repeat patterns etc. Any help
> would be appreciated.

a) this is an FAQ, see perlfaq2, Perl Books

b) I just finished "Modern Perl" by 'chromatic', ISBN 978-0-9779201-5-0.
Although available online I bought the paper edition (easier to read in the
tub) to support the author(s).
Highly recommended, even or especially if you already have some Perl
experience. Gives an excellent overview of modern Do's and Don'ts, a solid
refresh of my knowledge and a bagful of useful hints and tricks.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Ekki

ccc31807 02-21-2011 11:47 PM

Re: books on perl

On Feb 21, 2:02*pm, Sherm Pendley <sherm.pend...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is "O'Reilly rules!" :-)

Yes, O'Reilly generally produces books of a high caliber, with the odd
exception here and there -- certainly several orders of magnitude
above the Sam's Teach Yourself in 24 Hours books.

However, I'm beginning to like the Manning books as well. The ones I
have also do well. They tend to be Windows centric, but we don't judge
the quality of a book by the OS or technology preference. Case in
point: 'Object Oriented Perl' by Damian Conway.

I also like the few Pragmatic Bookshelf books I've bought, not as
strong perhaps as O'Reilly but still of high quality.

CC.

K4 Monk 02-22-2011 11:45 AM

Re: books on perl

On Feb 21, 9:31*pm, Justin C <justin.1...@purestblue.com> wrote:
> On 2011-02-21, K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > can someone be so kind to point out some good perl books? I've
> > programmed in perl for a few years now but only to write small scripts
> > etc. and never went deep down to even find out stuff like proper use
> > of regex or parsing long strings for repeat patterns etc. Any help
> > would be appreciated.

> Ask perl: `perldoc -q book`
>
> * *Justin.
>
> --
> Justin C, by the sea.

vidura@localhost~ $ perldoc -q book
You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.

Justin C 02-22-2011 12:57 PM

Re: books on perl

On 2011-02-22, K4 Monk <k4monk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 9:31*pm, Justin C <justin.1...@purestblue.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-02-21, K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > can someone be so kind to point out some good perl books? I've
>> > programmed in perl for a few years now but only to write small scripts
>> > etc. and never went deep down to even find out stuff like proper use
>> > of regex or parsing long strings for repeat patterns etc. Any help
>> > would be appreciated.

>> Ask perl: `perldoc -q book`
>>
>> * *Justin.
>>
>> --
>> Justin C, by the sea.

> vidura@localhost~ $ perldoc -q book
> You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.

God helps those who help themselves. Install perldoc.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Jrgen Exner 02-22-2011 03:10 PM

Re: books on perl

K4 Monk <k4monk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-02-21, K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've programmed in perl for a few years now

[...]
>vidura@localhost~ $ perldoc -q book
>You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.

This combination is, well, shall we say, "interesting". How did you
manage to program in Perl without using the Perl documentation?

May I suggest to repair your broken installation asap?

jue

K4 Monk 02-22-2011 04:17 PM

Re: books on perl

On Feb 22, 8:10*pm, J rgen Exner <jurge...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >vidura@localhost~ $ perldoc -q book
> >You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.

> This combination is, well, shall we say, "interesting". How did you
> manage to program in Perl without using the Perl documentation?
>
> May I suggest to repair your broken installation asap?
>
> jue

I've installed it now. I've programmed (if you can call it that) in
perl for years and never heard about perldoc. I generally wrote
whatever scripts I had to write with a bit of fiddling around and
looking at existing code

J. Gleixner 02-22-2011 05:38 PM

Re: books on perl

K4 Monk wrote:

> I've installed it now. I've programmed (if you can call it that) in
> perl for years and never heard about perldoc. I generally wrote
> whatever scripts I had to write with a bit of fiddling around and
> looking at existing code

Welcome to the 21st century. :-)

Be sure to learn about CPAN too: http://www.cpan.org/