Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t911390-using-perls-bits-n-pieces.html)

RF 09-17-2009 06:29 PM

Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

Hi Experts,

About 15 years ago I dabbled in Perl and I wrote a few simple programs
but now I have to confess that I am lost.

I have the following instructions for setting up a Perl prog.

"INSTALLATION

To install this module type the following:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install."

All I have is 3 folders. The top one has about 30 files like About-NLS,
config.guess, count.pl, install.sh, Makefile.in, Makefile.PL.in,
Makefile-xx.in, po2perl.pl, Manifest.SKIP. etc.

The middle subfolder has only two files: ProgName.sxw and groo.pl.

The last subfolder has about 40 files like af.bmo, af.po, de.po,
Makefile.in.in., POTFILES.in, re.po, Rules-quot, sv.po, etc.

I believe some other module or .exe is needed to execute the above
instructions and set up the program.

Help appreciated.

TIA

Jim Gibson 09-17-2009 06:53 PM

Re: Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

In article <7hfdeqF2t777jU1@mid.individual.net>, RF <RF@NoDen.con>
wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> About 15 years ago I dabbled in Perl and I wrote a few simple programs
> but now I have to confess that I am lost.
>
> I have the following instructions for setting up a Perl prog.
>
> "INSTALLATION
>
> To install this module type the following:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install."
>
> All I have is 3 folders. The top one has about 30 files like About-NLS,
> config.guess, count.pl, install.sh, Makefile.in, Makefile.PL.in,
> Makefile-xx.in, po2perl.pl, Manifest.SKIP. etc.
>
> The middle subfolder has only two files: ProgName.sxw and groo.pl.
>
> The last subfolder has about 40 files like af.bmo, af.po, de.po,
> Makefile.in.in., POTFILES.in, re.po, Rules-quot, sv.po, etc.
>
> I believe some other module or .exe is needed to execute the above
> instructions and set up the program.
>
> Help appreciated.

The minimum executables you need are the perl interpreter and a make
utility. Other executables may be required by the installation process,
for example a C compiler if the Perl module contains any C code, but
that depends upon the module. Pure Perl modules should only require
perl and make.

Have you tried the installation commands you listed? What happened?

If you need more help, please post the details of your platform and any
error messages you might be getting.

Thanks and good luck.

--
Jim Gibson

RF 09-17-2009 10:56 PM

Re: Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

Ben Morrow wrote:
> Quoth RF <RF@NoDen.con>:
>> Jim Gibson wrote:

> <snip>
>>> The minimum executables you need are the perl interpreter and a make
>>> utility. Other executables may be required by the installation process,
>>> for example a C compiler if the Perl module contains any C code, but
>>> that depends upon the module. Pure Perl modules should only require
>>> perl and make.
>>>
>>> Have you tried the installation commands you listed? What happened?
>>>
>>> If you need more help, please post the details of your platform and any
>>> error messages you might be getting.

> <snip>
>> C. BUILD
>>
>> Go into the newly-created directory and type:
>>
>> perl Makefile.PL
>>
>> [The CMD Prompt I input was: C:\Perlprog>perl Makefile.PL
>>
>> and the answer was: "'perl' is not recognized as an in operable program
>> or batch file." I guess another Perl module is required]

> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
> installed.

Thank you Ben.

There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
structure. I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

RF 09-17-2009 11:01 PM

Re: Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

RF wrote:
> Ben Morrow wrote:
>> Quoth RF <RF@NoDen.con>:

>> <snip>

>> <snip>
>>> C. BUILD
>>>
>>> Go into the newly-created directory and type:
>>>
>>> perl Makefile.PL
>>>
>>> [The CMD Prompt I input was: C:\Perlprog>perl Makefile.PL
>>>
>>> and the answer was: "'perl' is not recognized as an in operable
>>> program or batch file." I guess another Perl module is required]

>> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
>> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
>> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
>> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
>> installed.

> Thank you Ben.
>
> There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
> roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
> structure. I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
> so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

I wrote too soon. On the page following your link there were other progs
and for Win2K too :-)

RF 09-18-2009 01:55 AM

Re: Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

RF wrote:
> Ben Morrow wrote:
>> Quoth RF <RF@NoDen.con>:

>> <snip>

>> <snip>
>>> C. BUILD
>>>
>>> Go into the newly-created directory and type:
>>>
>>> perl Makefile.PL
>>>
>>> [The CMD Prompt I input was: C:\Perlprog>perl Makefile.PL
>>>
>>> and the answer was: "'perl' is not recognized as an in operable
>>> program or batch file." I guess another Perl module is required]

>> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
>> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
>> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
>> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
>> installed.

> Thank you Ben.
>
> There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
> roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
> structure. I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
> so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

When I try to run the Perl prog, I receive:

C:\Perlprog>perl makefile.pl
Can't open perl script "makefile.pl": No such file or directory.

Now that I have Strawberry installed, it gives me the same message as
before the installation.

I looked through all the Perl files and here is the list of the Makefiles:

Top folder: Makefile.in, Makefile-xx.in, Makefile.PL.in
Bottom folder: Makefile.in.in.

There was no Makefile.PL.

Back to the drawing board ;-)

RF 09-25-2009 12:27 AM

Re: Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

Ben Morrow wrote:
> Quoth RF <RF@NoDen.con>:
>> Ben Morrow wrote:
>>> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
>>> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
>>> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
>>> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
>>> installed.

>> There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
>> roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
>> structure.

> When you say 'that structure' you mean the package you originally
> downloaded? I would be extremely surprised if it included a copy of
> perl.
>
>> I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
>> so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

> The latest Strawberry builds have dropped support for 2k, but older
> releases are available from http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html . I
> would recommend using the 5.8.9.1 release from that page.
>
> (Also, it's not a fruit so much as a flavour of icecream :).)
>
> Ben

Hi again Ben,

I was hung up for a few weeks and am now having another look at this
problem. Thanks for the strawberryperl link. It installed ok but then I
found other instructions indicating that ActivePerl version should be
used. I had no problem installing it and, when I test it, it seems to work:

C:\>perl -v

Copyright 1987-2009, Larry Wall

Binary build 1006 [291086] provided by ActiveState
http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Aug 24 2009 13:48:26

This prog has a package manager ppm and the instructions for it were:

C:> ppm
ppm> install Lingua::GA::Gramadoir
ppm> quit

They worked and the last instruction given was:

"You should now have the front-end script gram-ga.pl installed.
Unfortunately, DOS isn't capable of displaying the ANSI control codes
that are used to highlight the errors in color. Also, you need to tell
An Gramadóir to display messages in the default DOS character encoding
(ibm-850). Therefore, to check a language text file called gaeilge.txt,
use the following:
C:> gram-ga.pl --aschod=cp850 --dath=none gaeilge.txt"

I set up the file and here is the response:

"C:\> gram-ga.pl --aschod=cp850 --dath=none gaeilge.txt
'gram-ga.pl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>perl -v"

Have you see this situation before?