Velocity Reviews

-   -   Editor with embedded perl interpreter? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t908890-editor-with-embedded-perl-interpreter.html)

Paolo 11-12-2008 08:48 PM

Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

I don't remember the name of this application for Windows but i've
make use of that once.

Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script
on selected text?

The Perl-script are in a submenu of the Tools menu.
---
THANX4URTIME!

Jürgen Exner 11-12-2008 09:32 PM

Re: Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

Paolo <lap76@19yahoo.com> wrote:
>I don't remember the name of this application for Windows but i've
>make use of that once.
>
>Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script
>on selected text?

A namesake of yours just posted exactly the same question in the
deprecated NG CLP. Maybe you can ask him to share the replies with you.
I won't type the same answer twice.

jue

Paolo 11-12-2008 10:13 PM

Re: Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

> A namesake of yours just posted exactly the same question in the
> deprecated NG CLP. Maybe you can ask him to share the replies with you.
> I won't type the same answer twice.

Ok, i've posted this question in comp.lang.perl but this NG is *broken*
(?)...
hence i've posted also in CLPM. Your answer in CLP? ...but CLP is not
accessibile
on my news-server!
--
THANX

John Bokma 11-13-2008 01:27 AM

Re: Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

Paolo <lap76@19yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't remember the name of this application for Windows but i've
> make use of that once.
>
> Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script
> on selected text?
>
> The Perl-script are in a submenu of the Tools menu.

TextPad, see:
http://johnbokma.com/textpad/textpad-subversion.html

You can run a command on a selection.

And Emacs, of course.

--
John http://johnbokma.com/ - Hacking & Hiking in Mexico

Perl help in exchange for a gift:
http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-ex...or-a-gift.html

Randal L. Schwartz 11-13-2008 08:07 AM

Re: Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

Paolo> Ok, i've posted this question in comp.lang.perl but this NG is *broken* (?)...

Not broken. Officially dead since 1995. If your ISP allows you to *post* to
CLP, then it's your ISP that is *broken*. :)

Paolo 11-13-2008 09:53 AM

Re: Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

> Not broken. Officially dead since 1995. If your ISP allows you to
> *post* to
> CLP, then it's your ISP that is *broken*. :)

.... :-) yes, my ISP allows to post to CLP!

cartercc 11-13-2008 04:44 PM

On Nov 12, 3:48*pm, Paolo <la...@19yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script
> on selected text?

I see two things here, both of which I would classify as semi-
important.

(1) For my money, vi is simply without any question far better than
any other editor. The benefits vi gives you are far greater than
anything you might get with a Lisp-like top level that interactively
executes your scripts.

(2) That said, I find the absence of a Perl top level somewhat
curious. Python has one, and interactive building of scripts can be
helpful. Why doesn't Perl have a top level?

CC

cartercc 11-13-2008 06:30 PM

On Nov 13, 12:14*pm, Peter Makholm <pe...@makholm.net> wrote:
> cartercc <carte...@gmail.com> writes:
> > (2) That said, I find the absence of a Perl top level somewhat
> > curious. Python has one, and interactive building of scripts can be
> > helpful. Why doesn't Perl have a top level?

> I have no idea what you're asking about, but Devel::REPL might be the
> answer.
>
> (and 'perl -de1' another simpler answer)
>
> //Makholm

An environment where you can evaluate expressions. In EMACS for
example, you can interactively evaluate Lisp expressions and functions
until they do what you want, and then add them to a source file. You
build your programs one expression or function at a time in a bottom
up fashion. This also helps with errors, since no expression gets
added to the source until it performs as expected -- therefore, you
never get any compile or run error when you compile the source.

CC

Peter Makholm 11-13-2008 07:31 PM

cartercc <cartercc@gmail.com> writes:

> An environment where you can evaluate expressions. In EMACS for

Then I lied as both Devel::REPL and the standard perl debugger with a
trivial script (perl -de1) will provide you with the read, print,
eval loop you want.

//Makholm

cartercc 11-13-2008 08:51 PM

On Nov 13, 2:31*pm, Peter Makholm <pe...@makholm.net> wrote:
> cartercc <carte...@gmail.com> writes:
> Then I lied as both Devel::REPL and the standard perl debugger with a
> trivial script (perl -de1) will provide you with the read, print,
> eval loop you want.

Thanks for your help.

I have two computers, both PCs, one running Windows XP and the other
Red Hat 7.3, both with Perl 5.8. On my Windows machine, PPM can't find
Devel-REPL and CPAN doesn't work (this is running ActiveState). On my
Linux machine, CPAN reported a successful install of Devel-REPL but
can't find it. I don't have time to look at it today, but I'll follow
up on it.

As to the Debugger, I use it occasionally, but it's pretty creaky
compared to the debugger in, say, Visual Studio. In EMACS, you can
compile and load in one key chord and run your compiled code IN THE
SAME ENVIRONMENT. IOW, the editor, run time, and interpreter all work
together. You can modify the same function a dozen times and run it in
a couple of minutes, and you can also look at the stack trace if you
want to. This is NOT how the Perl debugger works.

CC