Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sybase::CTLib ct_connect problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t908507-sybase-ctlib-ct_connect-problem.html)

somyasharma@gmail.com 09-30-2008 11:56 AM

Sybase::CTLib ct_connect problem

Hi,

I am trying to use SyBase::CTLib with perl 5.6 and sybase ASE 12.5. i
was trying a simple script to start of.

but, my script exits with this error :

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (191)
Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration
data.

Can any one help in this regard? i have checked the existence of
external dependency file (ocs.cfg) in the directory $SYBASE/
$SYBASE_OCS/config.

Looking for inputs.

Regards,
Somya Sharma

Ted Zlatanov 09-30-2008 04:27 PM

Re: Sybase::CTLib ct_connect problem

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:56:05 -0700 (PDT) somyasharma@gmail.com wrote:

s> Hi,
s> I am trying to use SyBase::CTLib with perl 5.6 and sybase ASE 12.5. i
s> was trying a simple script to start of.

s> but, my script exits with this error :

s> Open Client Message:
s> Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (191)
s> Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
s> connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration
s> data.

s> Can any one help in this regard? i have checked the existence of
s> external dependency file (ocs.cfg) in the directory $SYBASE/
s> $SYBASE_OCS/config.

I've only used DBD::Sybase, but this error seems to be at the library
level. I've had problems with missing locale files; make sure
*everything* from the stock install of the client is in place and then
move things out of the way carefully if you need to save space. Here's
what we have in $SYBASE that works for us:

charset.gz charsets config interfaces loca.gz locales OCS-15_0 ocs.gz profile sqsh-2.1.4

By the way, sqsh is a very good way to cope with Sybase :)

Ted

somyasharma@gmail.com 09-30-2008 04:47 PM

Re: Sybase::CTLib ct_connect problem

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
there are lots of existing C++ components which use Sybase's CTLib. I
get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

The issue is somewhat baffling :(

I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
Thanks for the inputs though :)

Ted Zlatanov 10-01-2008 04:37 PM

Re: Sybase::CTLib ct_connect problem

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT) somyasharma@gmail.com wrote:

s> Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
s> Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
s> there are lots of existing C++ components which use Sybase's CTLib. I
s> get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

s> The issue is somewhat baffling :(

Have you checked your environment carefully? What does
"use Data::Dumper; print Dumper \%ENV" produce?

s> I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
s> sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
s> Thanks for the inputs though :)

You can just set things up in /var/tmp or any other directory, as long
as $SYBASE points to it.

Ted

somyasharma@gmail.com 10-03-2008 04:42 AM

On Oct 1, 9:37*pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT) somyasha...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> s> Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
> s> Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
> s> there are lots of existing C++ components which use *Sybase's CTLib.I
> s> get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.
>
> s> The issue is somewhat baffling :(
>
> Have you checked your environment carefully? *What does
> "use Data::Dumper; print Dumper \%ENV" produce?
>
> s> I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
> s> sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
> s> Thanks for the inputs though :)
>
> You can just set things up in /var/tmp or any other directory, as long
> as $SYBASE points to it.
>
> Ted

Hi Ted,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The Data Dumper produced expected output. for example, it showed the
following settings in the environment related to sybase :

'SYBASE' => '/export/opt/sybocs/obOpnClt/default_5/etc/openclient',
'SYBIN' => '/export/opt/sybocs/obOpnClt/default_5/etc/openclient/
OCS-1
2_5/bin',

'SYBASE_OCS' => 'OCS-12_5'

will try and configure it in a local temporary directory and update
you with the results.

Thanks for the inputs.

Best Regards,
Somya