Velocity Reviews

-   -   Getting started with HTTP::Proxy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t907067-getting-started-with-http-proxy.html)

arvinporthog@lycos.com 04-10-2008 08:11 PM

Getting started with HTTP::Proxy

Hi. I don't know anything about proxies or networking yet I've been
tasked with protecting some content on a media server and I'm guessing
a proxy is the way to go. I'm playing around with HTTP::Proxy just to
get a feel for things. All of the examples and discussions seem geared
to a proxy which sits on a user's computer while what I want is to put
the proxy on an intermediate server between the user and the media
server. So just to test I set up a bare bones HTTP::Proxy script on
one of our web servers. It runs and I can connect to it but I don't
know where to start trying to get it to do more:

use strict;
use warnings;
use HTTP::Proxy;

my $proxy = new HTTP::Proxy (port => 8100, host => undef);
$proxy->start;

When I connect http://www.myserver.edu:8100 I get the message:
"Scheme is not supported by this proxy."

How can I do something simple like pipe the google homepage to my
browser (not redirect!)?