Velocity Reviews

-   -   using Crypt::Lite (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t906567-using-crypt-lite.html)

ccc31807 02-27-2008 01:59 PM

using Crypt::Lite

This might be a question no one knows the answer to.

We started using Crypt::Lite to encrypt the SSNs of files for
temporary storage, 7 or 8 days at the most. The files are CSV files
with lines like this:

IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,999887777,other,data ,here

The output is like this for each line:

IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,WoPsW7/oWIDsXYPqWoTSCNTvX4bjWY/tX4e
+DNDiWIPjCNDuWNK+DoO4VdPjCdQ=,other,data,here

So far the encryption string has never contained a comma. If it did,
it would really screw things up, as this is run as an automated
process and we do not have human eyes checking the format of the
decrypted files. (A comma would right shift all remaining fields.)

!. Does Crypt::Lite ever use a comma as an encryption character?
2. If so, can you tell it NOT to use a comma?

Thanks, CC.

smallpond 02-27-2008 03:04 PM

Re: using Crypt::Lite

On Feb 27, 8:59 am, ccc31807 <carte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a question no one knows the answer to.
>
> We started using Crypt::Lite to encrypt the SSNs of files for
> temporary storage, 7 or 8 days at the most. The files are CSV files
> with lines like this:
>
> IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,999887777,other,data ,here
>
> The output is like this for each line:
>
> IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,WoPsW7/oWIDsXYPqWoTSCNTvX4bjWY/tX4e
> +DNDiWIPjCNDuWNK+DoO4VdPjCdQ=,other,data,here
>
> So far the encryption string has never contained a comma. If it did,
> it would really screw things up, as this is run as an automated
> process and we do not have human eyes checking the format of the
> decrypted files. (A comma would right shift all remaining fields.)
>
> !. Does Crypt::Lite ever use a comma as an encryption character?
> 2. If so, can you tell it NOT to use a comma?
>
> Thanks, CC.

It uses MIME::Base64 in the encoding so you will only get
[A-Za-z0-9+/=]. You can also specify using hex8,

ccc31807 02-27-2008 03:28 PM

Re: using Crypt::Lite