Velocity Reviews

-   -   chromatic? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t905247-chromatic.html)

Mr P 11-07-2007 04:03 PM

chromatic?

Is this a person's name?

I just started reading Perl Hacks- a must read in my mind. The tips
and advice are truly inspired. Plus I can use them as AMMO in my
company, since many of these practices I already employ (and I'm
abused by others who don't, claiming they are a waste of time)..

This book begins with

"chromatic works for O'Reilly Media..."...

I puzzled over this line for a long time, thinking perhaps they had a
publishing glitch, and it was really supposed to be some markup text
referring to text chroma attributes, like:

"<chromatic>Wally Schmedly</chromatic> works for O'Reilly Media...".

Then I turned to the cover and it said "chromatic" there also. It
didn't have the word "author" anywhere on the cover, so the word
"chromatic" just sort of hung out there in space with no contextual
meaning except that which might be assumed, like *usually* an author
is on the cover of a book, and since it seems disjointed from the
title, perhaps it's an author's moniker.

It concerned me too that if I spent this long puzzled over line #1, in
the intro, then how could I possibly ever expect to get through the
entire text?

I'm fairly certain that "chromatic" was not a given name for a real
person. It would have made sense, therefore, to perhaps pen this as
something like:

"chromatic [1] works for O'Reilly Media..."...

Charlton Wilbur 11-07-2007 04:27 PM

Re: chromatic?

P> I'm fairly certain that "chromatic" was not a given name for a
P> real person.

chromatic is the pseudonym of a very competent Perl hacker and author.
You really don't need to worry about it further.

(And no, despite my domain name, I am not chromatic.)

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur@chromatico.net

Michele Dondi 11-07-2007 04:54 PM

Re: chromatic?

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:03:45 -0000, Mr P <MisterPerl@gmail.com> wrote:

>"chromatic works for O'Reilly Media..."...

He's also this guy:

http://perlmonks.org/?node=chromatic

Just don't mind. Some excellent Perl hacker are a bit eccentric
sometimes, see e.g. "our" own Bri^Wbrian d foy.

Michele

Brian McCauley 11-07-2007 05:47 PM

Re: chromatic?

On Nov 7, 4:03 pm, Mr P <MisterP...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this a person's name?
> I'm fairly certain that "chromatic" was not a given name for a real
> person. It would have made sense, therefore, to perhaps pen this as
> something like:
>
> "chromatic [1] works for O'Reilly Media..."...
> .
> .
> .
> [1]- The Perl Hacker formerly known as Wally Schmedly
>
> might have helped.

There is a tradition in Perl circles (and hacker circles generally)
that people can choose to remain pseudonymous (Abigail, Barbie,
chromatic, Smylers...).

Indeed when you attend (or speak at) a Perl conference like YAPC you
should be asked on the registration form if you want your real name to
appear on your badge, in the schedule, etc.

I recall, at one YAPC, Smylers was quite peeved that his given name
had appeared contrary to his request.

Brian McCauley 11-07-2007 06:02 PM

Re: chromatic?

On Nov 7, 5:47 pm, Brian McCauley <nobul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall, at one YAPC...

....and speaking of speaking at YAPC, here's chromatic speaking at
YAPC::Europe::2006

http://images.jonallen.info/display....perl&image=324

And cog..

http://images.jonallen.info/display....perl&image=315

And Barbie and Domm...

http://images.jonallen.info/display....perl&image=463

And acme...

http://images.jonallen.info/display....perl&image=374

And Abigail...

http://images.jonallen.info/display....perl&image=381

And here's me (although I no longer just go by "nobull")...

http://images.jonallen.info/display....perl&image=296

all mail refused 11-07-2007 06:59 PM

Re: chromatic?

On 2007-11-07, Brian McCauley <nobull67@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a tradition in Perl circles (and hacker circles generally)
> that people can choose to remain pseudonymous (Abigail, Barbie,

I am shocked.

http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

Martijn Lievaart 11-07-2007 08:38 PM

Re: chromatic?

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:59:17 +0000, all mail refused wrote:

> On 2007-11-07, Brian McCauley <nobull67@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a tradition in Perl circles (and hacker circles generally)
>> that people can choose to remain pseudonymous (Abigail, Barbie,

> I am shocked.

No, you are "all mail refused" :-)

M4