Velocity Reviews

-   -   Browser Back Button (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t90452-browser-back-button.html)

DotNetGruven 11-09-2004 06:05 PM

Browser Back Button

How are people handling the browser back button on database driven web apps
built using ASP.NET??

We keep state in Session and the back button is causing us lots of head
aches!

Is this just a situation where we should look harder at the way we use
Session State or are their tricks and/or tips on this?

TIA
George

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] 11-09-2004 06:23 PM

Re: Browser Back Button

There is only one easy solution that I know of, and it's not practical in
every situation:
If you open a new browser window it will have no history, thus the back
button will be disabled.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Scott M. 11-09-2004 06:52 PM

Re: Browser Back Button

The functionality of the Back button is not controllable. It is part of the
client. The best you can do is expire your page content, but there is
nothing you can do to disable the back button.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?= 11-09-2004 09:32 PM

RE: Browser Back Button

I'd look hard at the design. What are the headaches? If you do need to
control where "back" takes them, you can look at the js function
location.replace(). Or, you might set a session variable so you can know not
to execute a submit the second time around. Hard to know without more detail.

Bill

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?= 11-09-2004 11:45 PM

RE: Browser Back Button

Well u can disable it with Jscript by doing:-
javascript:window.history.forward(1);

Scott M. 11-10-2004 03:07 AM

Re: Browser Back Button

That doesn't disable the Back button. In fact, it will cause problems if
the user has already hit the back button prior to arriving at the page in
question.

naija naija 11-10-2004 10:50 PM

Re: Browser Back Button

Hi Scott,
Yeah thanks alot for the advice.
But that was my quick solution.
Do you have any good way to do that?
Patrick

Scott M. 11-10-2004 11:12 PM

Re: Browser Back Button

Response.Expires = date in the past

naija naija 11-11-2004 03:09 AM

Re: Browser Back Button

Hi Scott,
Can you explain in detail how it works?
thx

Scott M. 11-11-2004 04:20 AM

Re: Browser Back Button

By setting this value on a web page, you are indicating to the server that
the page content is no longer valid. The page content will expire
immediately. You can't disable the Back button, but if the page content has
expired, when the user does hit the back button, the client will display
"Page Expired" instead of the page.