Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pagination (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t904176-pagination.html)

webmaster@valleywebnet.com 08-11-2007 06:40 PM

Pagination

I have a DB with ~1100 entries that I have made searchable. However,
the results can be VERY long. So, I want a way of paginating the
output.

I have seen oodles of these types of scripts for PHP, but nothing for
PERL, and my PERL skills are rusty.

Anyone seen somethng like this for PERL, or have an example lying
around?

Thanks!
Jim

Robert Hicks 08-11-2007 09:03 PM

Re: Pagination

On Aug 11, 2:40 pm, webmas...@valleywebnet.com wrote:
> I have a DB with ~1100 entries that I have made searchable. However,
> the results can be VERY long. So, I want a way of paginating the
> output.
>
> I have seen oodles of these types of scripts for PHP, but nothing for
> PERL, and my PERL skills are rusty.
>
> Anyone seen somethng like this for PERL, or have an example lying
> around?
>
> Thanks!
> Jim

HTML::Pager
Data::Pager
Data::Pageset

Try one of those...

HTH

Robert

webmaster@valleywebnet.com 08-12-2007 08:39 AM

Re: Pagination

On Aug 11, 5:03 pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2:40 pm, webmas...@valleywebnet.com wrote:
>
> > I have a DB with ~1100 entries that I have made searchable. However,
> > the results can be VERY long. So, I want a way of paginating the
> > output.

> > I have seen oodles of these types of scripts for PHP, but nothing for
> > PERL, and my PERL skills are rusty.

> > Anyone seen somethng like this for PERL, or have an example lying
> > around?

> > Thanks!
> > Jim

> HTML::Pager
> Data::Pager
> Data::Pageset
>
> Try one of those...
>
> HTH
>
> Robert

Unfortunately, I can't use any of those, my server doesn't have them
installed and getting them to install something new is like pulling
teeth from an alligator.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Jim

Gunnar Hjalmarsson 08-12-2007 09:02 AM

Re: Pagination

webmaster@valleywebnet.com wrote:
> On Aug 11, 5:03 pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 11, 2:40 pm, webmas...@valleywebnet.com wrote:
>>> I have a DB with ~1100 entries that I have made searchable. However,
>>> the results can be VERY long. So, I want a way of paginating the
>>> output.
>>>
>>> I have seen oodles of these types of scripts for PHP, but nothing for
>>> PERL, and my PERL skills are rusty.
>>> Anyone seen somethng like this for PERL, or have an example lying

>> HTML::Pager
>> Data::Pager
>> Data::Pageset
>>
>> Try one of those...

> Unfortunately, I can't use any of those, my server doesn't have them
> installed and getting them to install something new is like pulling
> teeth from an alligator.

Sounds tough... Then how about installing one of them yourself?

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq8.htm...y-directory%3f

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tim Southerwood 08-12-2007 09:03 AM

Re: Pagination

webmaster@valleywebnet.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

> Unfortunately, I can't use any of those, my server doesn't have them
> installed and getting them to install something new is like pulling
> teeth from an alligator.
>
> Anyone have any other suggestions?
> Jim

Can you not "install" them adjacent to your script in a lib/ directory, then
path that into your script with a "use lib ..." and maybe a bit of "use
FindBin" for flexibility?

That's what I often do if a centralised installation is more trouble than
it's worth.

Cheers

Tim

webmaster@valleywebnet.com 08-12-2007 10:57 AM

Re: Pagination

On Aug 12, 5:03 am, Tim Southerwood <t...@dionic.net> wrote:
> webmas...@valleywebnet.com coughed up some electrons that declared:
>

> > Unfortunately, I can't use any of those, my server doesn't have them
> > installed and getting them to install something new is like pulling
> > teeth from an alligator.

> > Anyone have any other suggestions?
> > Jim

> Can you not "install" them adjacent to your script in a lib/ directory, then
> path that into your script with a "use lib ..." and maybe a bit of "use
> FindBin" for flexibility?
>
> That's what I often do if a centralised installation is more trouble than
> it's worth.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim

I didn't think of that, excellent suggestion.

Thanks!
Jim

JimJx 08-13-2007 11:34 AM

Re: Pagination

On Aug 12, 3:02 pm, Sherm Pendley <spamt...@dot-app.org> wrote:
> webmas...@valleywebnet.com writes:
> > Unfortunately, I can't use any of those, my server doesn't have them
> > installed and getting them to install something new is like pulling
> > teeth from an alligator.

> > Anyone have any other suggestions?

> Install it yourself - you only need root access if you want to install a
> module into a directory to which only root can write, such as /usr/lib.
>
> In a nutshell, just download the module tarball, unpack it, and specify
> an install location to which you have access when you run Makefile.PL. For
> example:
>
> perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/mylogin
>
> The above assumes you've already downloaded and unpacked the tarball, of
> course. You can also configure the CPAN shell to use a configuration step
> like this automatically.
>
> For details, see:
>
> perldoc perlmodinstall
> perldoc CPAN