Velocity Reviews

-   -   508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t90165-508-compliant-i-e-accessible-to-the-people-with-disabilities.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Zm1AbmV3c2dyb3Vwcy5ub3NwYW0=?= 11-04-2004 10:15 PM

508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)?

We would like to consider using ASP.NET for our portal development. A
requirement is that the pages are 508 compliant.
http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?...n=Content&ID=3

All I have been able to find on the net is a KB article that says a
framework rollup now has the grid producing 508 compliant HTML.

I also found a blog that says VS2005 will produce 508 compliant server
controls. http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi.../25/39620.aspx.

So if ASP.NET 1.1 does not produce 508 compliant code is there a KB that
describes what we would need to do beyond uses ASP.NET 1.1 and VS2003 right
out of the box?

Thanks,
fm

clintonG 11-05-2004 01:29 AM

Re: 508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)?

All section508 compliance occurs in the user interface. The classes in the
framework emit client-side HTML and client-side script but as you've learned
what is emitted falls short of section 508 compliance. Thus, you need to
learn how to use the framework to modify what is emitted.

If you are using Visual Studio.NET search on the term: client-side in the
help file and also Google: "client-side functionality in a server control"
which will result in the documentation you will need to use to learn to emit
your own compliant client-side HTML. Start with MSDN articles as that is
official documentation.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development

Derek Harmon 11-05-2004 04:27 AM

Re: 508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)?

<fm@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:60CD8583-429E-481D-B261-B35D8159094D@microsoft.com...
> So if ASP.NET 1.1 does not produce 508 compliant code is there a KB that
> describes what we would need to do beyond uses ASP.NET 1.1 and VS2003 right
> out of the box?

There are a variety of ASP.NET server control replacements that provide greater
degrees of Section 508 compliance for ASP.NET 1.x for today's applications,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...nce%22+ASP.NET

Derek Harmon

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 11-05-2004 07:13 AM

Re: 508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)?

Hi Fm,

As for the generating 508 compliant asp.net page output in 1.1 you
mentioned, I think we have serveral available approachs:
1. Page Level: intercept the page's output html content and do our custom
format on it before send to clientside. And generally we have two means to
intercept the page's output content before sent to clientside:
# Use a Response Filter , for example:

Response Filter to Take out White Spaces and New Line Feeds using
HttpResponse.Filter
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/donn...9/08/1468.aspx

# For a certain page, override the page's Render method and modify the
output page content in it:
For example:

Class PageName: System.Web.Page
{
{
{
System.Text.StringBuilder sb = new System.Text.StringBuilder();
System.IO.StringWriter sw = new System.IO.StringWriter(sb);
System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter htw = new HtmlTextWriter(sw);
base.Render (htw);

string content = sb.ToString();

//do formatting on the content
}
}

}

2. Control level, make our custom control wrapper ( derived from the
existing web control classes) and override the render method so as to
format the html content at the control level). This is similiar to override
the Page's Render method since we do modification in our custom control's
overrided Render method.

3. Using raw isapi filters in IIS ( since this is beyound the .net
framework , I haven't any furthur values).

In addition, here are some former threads in the group discussing on the
similiar problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...5073f6721ef&se
ekm=y0F8qBe9DHA.3612%40cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl#link1

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...A.3496%40cpmsf
tngxa07.phx.gbl&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dasp.net%2Bxhtml%2Bsteven%2Bcheng%2
6hl%3Den

Hope also helps. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Hope helps. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Zm1AbmV3c2dyb3Vwcy5ub3NwYW0=?= 11-05-2004 02:59 PM

RE: 508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)?

Thanks Clinton, Steven and Derek! I appreciate the insight.

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 11-08-2004 12:54 AM

RE: 508 compliant (i.e. accessible to the people with disabilities)?

You're welcome, Fm.

Thanks again for your posting.