Velocity Reviews

-   -   Drawing boxes on linux console with Curses::UI (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t900996-drawing-boxes-on-linux-console-with-curses-ui.html)

lowth.chris@googlemail.com 12-11-2006 08:51 AM

Drawing boxes on linux console with Curses::UI

I am using the "Curses::UI" module to write an application that will
run on the linux console.

When I draw widgets on the screen, the borders are drawn with plus
signs, hyphens and the "pipe" character. I'd like them to be drawn
instead with the more solid looking characters that applications like
"ntsysv" (a "Newt" application) uses, but cant work out how to do this.

When I run the perl code via a "putty" SSH client, then I get solid
lines. When I run "ntsysv" on the console, I get solid lines (so the
console must be capable of using them), but when I run the perl code on
the console I get the nastier-looking lines.

Any clues on what I need to do to fix this?

I have TERM=linux and LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 set in the environment.

This is Fedora core 2 with perl 5.8.3.

Thanks.
Chris

lowth.chris@googlemail.com 12-11-2006 10:54 PM

Re: Drawing boxes on linux console with Curses::UI

Benway wrote:

> Try running this command prior to running your perl application on
> the console.
>
> echo -e \\033%@
>
> If it works just add some code to /etc/bashrc or somewhere in
> /etc/profile.d etc... like:
>
> if [ ${TERM} = "console" ]
> then
> echo -e \\033%@
> fi

Thanks for the suggestion; sadly though, it doesnt seem to make any
difference.
Out of interest - where do you get this sequence from, is there a
document somewhere that describes all the possible codes [that's more
of a linux question than perl, I guess]?

Chris