Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: O'Reilly 'Perl CD Bookshelf' - gone for good? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t900650-ot-oreilly-perl-cd-bookshelf-gone-for-good.html)

Richard Williams 11-16-2006 07:34 PM

OT: O'Reilly 'Perl CD Bookshelf' - gone for good?

Just noticed on the O'Reilly site that the 2004 4th edition of the 'Perl
CD Bookshelf' is out of print (as are all the other Bookshelf titles), and
cdbookshelves.oreilly.com is gone. I guess that means it's just Safari or
dead trees from now on, which seems rather a pity - the Perl CD has been
my main 3rd party reference since version 1, and there are several obvious
new candidate books for a 5th edition. Just wondering if any of the
O'Reilly authors here happen to know if (or why) this is indeed the end of
the line?

Richard.

John Bokma 11-16-2006 08:08 PM

Re: OT: O'Reilly 'Perl CD Bookshelf' - gone for good?

rdwillia@anon.example.net (Richard Williams) wrote:

> Just noticed on the O'Reilly site that the 2004 4th edition of the
> 'Perl CD Bookshelf' is out of print (as are all the other Bookshelf
> titles), and cdbookshelves.oreilly.com is gone. I guess that means
> it's just Safari or dead trees from now on, which seems rather a pity
> - the Perl CD has been my main 3rd party reference since version 1,
> and there are several obvious new candidate books for a 5th edition.
> Just wondering if any of the O'Reilly authors here happen to know if
> (or why) this is indeed the end of the line?

I bought ages ago the perl resource kit, which IIRC came with the 3rd or
2nd edition. I browsed a few times through the print outs of module
documentation (nice books), but I think that trying to use perldoc is in
the end smarter. I have the chm version of perl core documentation in my
PDA now, and get more and more used to read from that instead of a book.

Randal L. Schwartz 11-16-2006 08:34 PM

Re: OT: O'Reilly 'Perl CD Bookshelf' - gone for good?

Richard> Just noticed on the O'Reilly site that the 2004 4th edition of the
Richard> 'Perl CD Bookshelf' is out of print (as are all the other Bookshelf
Richard> titles), and cdbookshelves.oreilly.com is gone. I guess that means
Richard> it's just Safari or dead trees from now on, which seems rather a pity
Richard> - the Perl CD has been my main 3rd party reference since version 1,
Richard> and there are several obvious new candidate books for a 5th
Richard> edition. Just wondering if any of the O'Reilly authors here happen to
Richard> know if (or why) this is indeed the end of the line?

From what I heard, piracy killed them. It's too easy to put the entire books
online from the CD. Safari has a lot of anti-scraping technology in it to
prevent that, so it's safari from now on, not CDs.

Stupid Pirates. Ruining it for all of us.

DJ Stunks 11-16-2006 09:22 PM

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Richard> Just noticed on the O'Reilly site that the 2004 4th edition of the
> Richard> 'Perl CD Bookshelf' is out of print (as are all the other Bookshelf
> Richard> titles), and cdbookshelves.oreilly.com is gone.
>
> From what I heard, piracy killed them. It's too easy to put the entire books
> online from the CD.
> <snip>
> Stupid Pirates. Ruining it for all of us.

hmm, that's funny, that's not the conclusion I reached...

s/Pirates/overzealous publishers/

you were still selling books despite the websites, were you not?

-jp

John Bokma 11-16-2006 09:36 PM

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> Richard> Just noticed on the O'Reilly site that the 2004 4th edition
> of the Richard> 'Perl CD Bookshelf' is out of print (as are all the
> other Bookshelf Richard> titles), and cdbookshelves.oreilly.com is
> gone. I guess that means Richard> it's just Safari or dead trees from
> now on, which seems rather a pity Richard> - the Perl CD has been my
> main 3rd party reference since version 1, Richard> and there are
> several obvious new candidate books for a 5th Richard> edition. Just
> wondering if any of the O'Reilly authors here happen to Richard> know
> if (or why) this is indeed the end of the line?
>
> From what I heard, piracy killed them. It's too easy to put the
> entire books online from the CD.

Almost every O'Reilly book is either available in CHM or PDF format,
pirated. One can download 4-9 GB of books using bittorrent in the blink
of an eye. I am quite sure that some books are leaked when send to the
printing departement, or even before.

So it sounds to me like a non-argument.

> Safari has a lot of anti-scraping
> technology in it to prevent that, so it's safari from now on, not CDs.
>
> Stupid Pirates. Ruining it for all of us.

Maybe a better distribution method should be thought up? It's like
saying that the stupid bookpress took away work from the monks. Mind, I
am not saying that authors shouldn't be paid for their work. But if one
can download 500 books in a few hours that's a huge temptation. Again, I
am not saying that piracy is right.

I would love to buy DRM free books online in either chm or pdf format
and pay with paypal hassle free. And yes, the keyword here is often
hassle free. I recently bought a PDA, and checked out some ebook sites.
I am not going to install Adobe PDF again on my Pocket PC. It's a joke
compared to xpdf. But I am afraid xpdf is not going to handle all those
fancy anti-piracy measurements. It's beyond me why people keep investing
money in stuff like that, when people who want to have it rights free
already have it, often before the site makes it public available.

Also, like the book press made it possible to have your own book printed
instead of hiring 20 monks, or a digital camera made it possible to make
portraits of your family members instead of hiring a painter, authors
should consider going with the flow. The only other options are pulling
your hairs out or start doing something else.

I have published a little on my own site, yet the income from
advertisements is more then sufficient to pay the rent.

Finally, "all of us": who's us? There are people who can't afford to pay
60 USD for a book (I guess that's what the local price is here for a 45
USD book). You might not consider it fair, but is it fair to get paid 8
times less, and sucked dry by luxery that costs 50-120% more? (Talking
in general about the situation in Mexico).

John Bokma 11-17-2006 05:00 AM

"Robert Hicks" <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think they really lost any "sales" by those CD's going online.

Same here. If O'Reilly is losing sales it's because there is so much
available online. I mean, I bought in the past an O'Reilly for a chapter,
even a page. Now I can find the same information in several tutorials
online. Times have changed, and it's easy to blame it on all those bad
guys. Probably most people having 20 GB of books haven't read most of
them, if at all. Just pack rats.

John Bokma 11-17-2006 08:22 PM

zentara <zentara@highstream.net> wrote:

> Look for old copies at amazon.com or ebay.

The point is "old".

Randal L. Schwartz 11-18-2006 05:09 AM

Re: OT: O'Reilly 'Perl CD Bookshelf' - gone for good?

Robert> Yes...but we were hoping for "future" editions.

yeah, and thanks to pirates, you won't be getting them.

John Bokma 11-18-2006 06:13 AM

Re: OT: O'Reilly 'Perl CD Bookshelf' - gone for good?

> Robert> Yes...but we were hoping for "future" editions.
>
> yeah, and thanks to pirates, you won't be getting them.

Get over it Randal. Reply to my post which made a lot more sense then this
O'Reilly propaganda you are parroting.

David H. Adler 11-18-2006 07:24 AM

On 2006-11-18, John Bokma <john@castleamber.com> wrote:

>> Robert> Yes...but we were hoping for "future" editions.
>>
>> yeah, and thanks to pirates, you won't be getting them.

> Get over it Randal. Reply to my post which made a lot more sense then this
> O'Reilly propaganda you are parroting.

Ok, I'm confused as to how saying that a practices that encourages
people not to buy books discourages publishers from continuing to
publish new versions of that book doesn't make sense. Or, for that
matter, is propaganda. Publishers put books out because they make money
on it and if they're less likely to make money on a particular book,
they're less likely to continue publishing that book. In what way is
this nonsensical?

I mean, if you want to argue that pirating is, in reality, a minor drain
on revenues, I'd still be likely to disagree with you, but at least we'd
have something we could try to quantify. Dismissing the general idea,
however, makes no sense to me.

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/