Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie to Perl (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t897509-newbie-to-perl.html)

Jay Dee 04-17-2006 10:13 AM

Newbie to Perl

Hello all,

I am running Windows XP

Currently I only no Python script and I only started that about 6
months ago but well setting up a website it is on about the Perl
language for usage in CGI scripts

Unfortunately I don't know much about ether,

Anyone got any pointers,

And it is trying to get me to perches an FTP client called WS_FTP from
http://www.ipswitch.com/ and I don't like paying for things that I
don't know much about, do I have to buy this or not, or should I buy
a different one.

Thanks Jay Dee

Brian Wakem 04-17-2006 10:28 AM

Re: Newbie to Perl

Jay Dee wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am running Windows XP
>
> Currently I only no Python script and I only started that about 6
> months ago but well setting up a website it is on about the Perl
> language for usage in CGI scripts
>
> Unfortunately I don't know much about ether,
>
> Anyone got any pointers,
>
> And it is trying to get me to perches an FTP client called WS_FTP from
> http://www.ipswitch.com/ and I don't like paying for things that I
> don't know much about, do I have to buy this or not, or should I buy
> a different one.
>
> Thanks Jay Dee

I am trying hard to find a perl question in there. I just can't see one.
Do you have one?

--
Brian Wakem

Emmanuel Florac 04-17-2006 10:31 AM

Re: Newbie to Perl

Le Mon, 17 Apr 2006 03:13:49 -0700, Jay Dee a écrit*:

> Hello all,
>
> I am running Windows XP
>
> Currently I only no Python script and I only started that about 6 months
> ago but well setting up a website it is on about the Perl language for
> usage in CGI scripts
>
> Unfortunately I don't know much about ether,
>
> Anyone got any pointers,

Get activePerl from activeState to have perl on your machine. Get a
proper editor ig you haven't got one already : Open Perl IDE (on
sourceforge.net), Context, or Eclipse, or...

> And it is trying to get me to perches an FTP client called WS_FTP from
> http://www.ipswitch.com/ and I don't like paying for things that I don't
> know much about, do I have to buy this or not, or should I buy a different
> one.

What are you talking about? If you're looking for a free ftp client (or
server) try filezilla (sourceforge.net too).

BTW, next time you have a question to ask, please try to make it
understandable.

--
on passe la moitié de son temps à refaire ce que l'on n'a pas eu le
temps de faire correctement.

Sherm Pendley 04-17-2006 05:50 PM

Re: Newbie to Perl

"Jay Dee" <first180@gmail.com> writes:

> Currently I only no Python script and I only started that about 6
> months ago but well setting up a website it is on about the Perl
> language for usage in CGI scripts
>
> Unfortunately I don't know much about ether,

If you *want* to learn Perl, welcome! But you don't *have* to write in
Perl, simply because you're writing a CGI script. CGIs can be written
in any language, including Python.

Lots of 'em: <http://learn.perl.org>.

> And it is trying to get me to perches an FTP client called WS_FTP from
> http://www.ipswitch.com/ and I don't like paying for things that I
> don't know much about,

Why not just download a trial version and give it a go? Try some other
clients too. In this day and age, there is absolutely *no* reason to buy
a software package blindly.

sherm--

Jay Dee 04-18-2006 12:38 AM

Re: Newbie to Perl

Thank you all

I have downloaded Filezilla for my webpage and I have downloaded Perl
as well

And sorry for not making my self clear