Velocity Reviews

-   -   Where to get all the articles in this group? (My net is 1KBps) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t895103-where-to-get-all-the-articles-in-this-group-my-net-is-1kbps.html)

firemanacab@yahoo.com 11-11-2005 12:02 AM

Where to get all the articles in this group? (My net is 1KBps)

I need to download all the articles for this group for the past year or
so to create a searchable database. I cannot use google as my net
connection is slower than dialup, it being on cellular phone (GPRS).
Is there a place to download such an archive?
... so I could goto a place having high speed internet and download it.

John Bokma 11-11-2005 12:55 AM

Re: Where to get all the articles in this group? (My net is 1KBps)

firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:

> I need to download all the articles for this group for the past year or
> so to create a searchable database. I cannot use google as my net
> connection is slower than dialup, it being on cellular phone (GPRS).
> Is there a place to download such an archive?
> .. so I could goto a place having high speed internet and download it.

30% is nonsense
50% are newbie questions you can find with perldoc
20% might be useful, depending on what you are doing.

Buying The Perl Cookbook, Programming Perl, and maybe Learning Perl sounds
more useful to me.

I ploink googlegroups.com :-)

takarov2003@yahoo.com 11-11-2005 05:04 AM

John Bokma wrote:
> firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I need to download all the articles for this group for the past year or
> > so to create a searchable database. I cannot use google as my net
> > connection is slower than dialup, it being on cellular phone (GPRS).
> > Is there a place to download such an archive?
> > .. so I could goto a place having high speed internet and download it.

> 30% is nonsense
> 50% are newbie questions you can find with perldoc
> 20% might be useful, depending on what you are doing.
>
> Buying The Perl Cookbook, Programming Perl, and maybe Learning Perl sounds
> more useful to me.

I got them on searchable CD-ROM from O'Reily. that and perldocs pretty
much fill the documentation bill, and the experts here take care of
those really ground-in problems.

axel@white-eagle.invalid.uk 11-11-2005 09:23 AM

Re: Where to get all the articles in this group? (My net is 1KBps)

firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:
> I need to download all the articles for this group for the past year or
> so to create a searchable database. I cannot use google as my net
> connection is slower than dialup, it being on cellular phone (GPRS).
> Is there a place to download such an archive?
> .. so I could goto a place having high speed internet and download it.

Your question makes little sense... if you get access to 'high speed
internet', what would stop your using Google?

Axel

firemanacab@yahoo.com 11-13-2005 04:43 AM

Re: Where to get all the articles in this group? (My net is 1KBps)

"so I could goto a place having high speed internet and download it."

But I have to make a special trip to a place in town to do that, I live
in a rural area.

David H. Adler 11-13-2005 05:41 PM

On 2005-11-13, firemanacab@yahoo.com <firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "so I could goto a place having high speed internet and download it."
>
> But I have to make a special trip to a place in town to do that, I live
> in a rural area.

Please post some context in the future. Thanks.

If you're looking to download a particular amount of data, I fail to see how
the special trip is relevant, as it would be just as necessary to make
that trip in both scenarios.

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
When they send bikers into space, that's what they'll be wearing. I'm