Velocity Reviews

-   -   Installing packages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t894155-installing-packages.html)

P.R.Brady 09-09-2005 03:55 PM

Installing packages

I've installed a few packages onto my XP office system using ppm which
has proved very simple. Internet speed has not been a concern as it's
100 Mbit/s.
I now want to transfer these to my system at home where Internet speeds
are very low. Can I transfer these from my office system via CD or
memory stick? Which files do I need to copy across/what is the procedure?

Regards
Phil

Bob Walton 09-10-2005 02:13 AM

Re: Installing packages

P.R.Brady wrote:

> I've installed a few packages onto my XP office system using ppm which
> has proved very simple. Internet speed has not been a concern as it's
> 100 Mbit/s.
> I now want to transfer these to my system at home where Internet speeds
> are very low. Can I transfer these from my office system via CD or
> memory stick? Which files do I need to copy across/what is the procedure?
>
> Regards
> Phil

You can go to:

http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackag...-only/Windows/

and download the .zip files of the packages you want, and burn
them to CD or whatever. Then unzip them to a directory, and use
ppm's "repository add" command to add that directory, like:

C:>ppm
ppm> repository add name c:\temp\whatever

Turn off the respositories you don't want (if any) using the
"repository off" command. Then issue ppm stuff as usual.

HTH.
--
Bob Walton

P.R.Brady 09-12-2005 09:47 AM

Re: Installing packages

Bob Walton wrote:
> P.R.Brady wrote:
>
>> I've installed a few packages onto my XP office system using ppm which
>> has proved very simple. Internet speed has not been a concern as it's
>> 100 Mbit/s.
>> I now want to transfer these to my system at home where Internet
>> speeds are very low. Can I transfer these from my office system via
>> CD or memory stick? Which files do I need to copy across/what is the
>> procedure?
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil

> You can go to:
>
> http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackag...-only/Windows/
>
> and download the .zip files of the packages you want, and burn them to
> CD or whatever. Then unzip them to a directory, and use ppm's
> "repository add" command to add that directory, like:
>
> C:>ppm
> ppm> repository add name c:\temp\whatever
>
> Turn off the respositories you don't want (if any) using the "repository
> off" command. Then issue ppm stuff as usual.
>
> HTH.

Great! Thanks.
Phil

--