Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I run a perl command on my web host? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t894123-how-do-i-run-a-perl-command-on-my-web-host.html)

vbMark 09-08-2005 03:44 PM

How do I run a perl command on my web host?

Hello,

I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.

I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
do something like Telnet in or what?

Thanks!

Get freeware
http://www.vbmark.com

Paul Lalli 09-08-2005 03:50 PM

Re: How do I run a perl command on my web host?

vbMark wrote:
> I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
> the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.
>
> I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
> do something like Telnet in or what?

If you don't have any access other than FTP, then you don't have Telnet
access.

One possibility *might* be to create a CGI script that runs the script
you actually want to run, capturing and re-displaying the output back
to the browser. That doesn't seem like the best or most secure idea,
however.

This question is really impossible to answer without knowing what the
webhost is an having a good understanding of their policies. Why
aren't you asking the webhosting company itself how to get something
done?

Paul Lalli

vbMark 09-08-2005 04:54 PM

Re: How do I run a perl command on my web host?

"Paul Lalli" <mritty@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1126194634.675620.40980@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com:

> vbMark wrote:
>> I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have
>> access to the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.
>>
>> I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this?
>> Do I do something like Telnet in or what?

> If you don't have any access other than FTP, then you don't have
> Telnet access.
>
> One possibility *might* be to create a CGI script that runs the script
> you actually want to run, capturing and re-displaying the output back
> to the browser. That doesn't seem like the best or most secure idea,
> however.
>
> This question is really impossible to answer without knowing what the
> webhost is an having a good understanding of their policies. Why
> aren't you asking the webhosting company itself how to get something
> done?
>
> Paul Lalli

I've not asked my web host as they are historically slow at replying to
questions. I thought that I could get a quick, simple answer here.

Thanks though.

Get freeware
http://www.vbmark.com

Anno Siegel 09-09-2005 11:43 AM

vbMark <no@email.com> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> "Paul Lalli" <mritty@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:1126194634.675620.40980@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com:
> > vbMark wrote:

[...]

> > This question is really impossible to answer without knowing what the
> > webhost is an having a good understanding of their policies. Why
> > aren't you asking the webhosting company itself how to get something
> > done?

[...].

> I've not asked my web host as they are historically slow at replying to
> questions. I thought that I could get a quick, simple answer here.

Why does that remind me of a lost car key and a street light?

> Thanks though.

We love you too.

Anno