Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Perl Misc (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f67-perl-misc.html)
-   -   Shared perl reposity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t892688-shared-perl-reposity.html)

Brian McCauley 06-03-2005 04:56 PM

Re: Shared perl reposity
 
Hessu wrote:

> I have a shared common directory for users (TOOLDIR)to have tools I
> wrote available for them.
>
> Everybody is mapping TOOLDIR and adding it to path to use my tools.
> But they have to install required perl version and install required
> modules locally on their PCs to make everything working.
> And sadly if tools got any modules updated, users have to update them
> too, locally.
>
> 1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so they
> would be available to users without continuing local module updates?


Yes, just include TOOLDIR in @INC. (Using the PERL5LIB envronment
variable).

> 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
> be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or they
> can keep their own local perl version?


There should be no problem on most operating systems so long as the
contents TOOLDIR is accessed using the same path on all clients (i.e.
they map it so the same local drive or directory).


Hessu 06-03-2005 05:46 PM

Shared perl reposity
 
Hello,

I have a shared common directory for users (TOOLDIR)to have tools I
wrote available for them.

Everybody is mapping TOOLDIR and adding it to path to use my tools.
But they have to install required perl version and install required
modules locally on their PCs to make everything working.
And sadly if tools got any modules updated, users have to update them
too, locally.

1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so they
would be available to users without continuing local module updates?

2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or they
can keep their own local perl version?

3) Would there be any other scripting or tool language with which this
would be easy or even possible?

Thank you, Yours

Hessu

Hemis 06-03-2005 06:22 PM

Re: Shared perl reposity
 
Brian McCauley wrote:
> Hessu wrote:
>
>> I have a shared common directory for users (TOOLDIR)to have tools I
>> wrote available for them.
>>
>> Everybody is mapping TOOLDIR and adding it to path to use my tools.
>> But they have to install required perl version and install required
>> modules locally on their PCs to make everything working.
>> And sadly if tools got any modules updated, users have to update them
>> too, locally.
>>
>> 1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so
>> they would be available to users without continuing local module updates?

>
>
> Yes, just include TOOLDIR in @INC. (Using the PERL5LIB envronment
> variable).
>
>> 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
>> be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or
>> they can keep their own local perl version?

>
>
> There should be no problem on most operating systems so long as the
> contents TOOLDIR is accessed using the same path on all clients (i.e.
> they map it so the same local drive or directory).
>


Thank you for your answers.

Actually, mapping the dir to agreed drive ("Everybody must use T: for
tools-yeah it's windows!") is what we do.

Brian McCauley 06-04-2005 08:36 AM

Re: Shared perl reposity
 
Hemis wrote:

> Brian McCauley wrote:
>
>> Hessu wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that
>>> would be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally
>>> or they can keep their own local perl version?

>
>> There should be no problem on most operating systems so long as the
>> contents TOOLDIR is accessed using the same path on all clients (i.e.
>> they map it so the same local drive or directory).

>
> Actually, mapping the dir to agreed drive ("Everybody must use T: for
> tools-yeah it's windows!") is what we do.


Note: you must run the installation program to install Perl onto T: so
that all the paths in Config.pm will contain T:


Big and Blue 06-04-2005 05:50 PM

Re: Shared perl reposity
 
Hessu wrote:
>
> 1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so they
> would be available to users without continuing local module updates?
>
> 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
> be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or they
> can keep their own local perl version?
>
> 3) Would there be any other scripting or tool language with which this
> would be easy or even possible?


What about:

4) Provide everyone with the same version of Perl from a network-mounted
filesystem and get that to know about TOOLDIR.


--
Just because I've written it doesn't mean that
either you or I have to believe it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.