Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t892205-help-regarding-perl-modules-in-pl-and-in-extension.html)

David Joseph Bonnici 05-05-2005 03:44 PM

Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension.

Hi I am using ActivePerl (Build 811) on Windows. I am using Komodo as an
editor. I am a newbie.

I am having problems when referencing to modules that have the extension .pl
or .in.
I am using downloaded projects from sourceforge to test some features.

I usually found myself in the scenario, and I get stuck.

in a test123.pl file I find

use David;

When I go to search for the modules, (in order to copy these files to
c:\perl\lib) I find

David.pm.pl and David.pm.in.

If I copy them to the lib folder, the interpreter still tells me that he
cannot find the module

If I try to remame anyone of them, I get cannot compile object.

Any help is appreciated.

David

Atlantis 05-05-2005 04:51 PM

Re: Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension.

I'm not familiar with Komodo, but I can say that if you've got a perl
statement...

use David;

.... then perl will be looking for a file called David.pm, so I would guess
that you need to rename either the .pl or .in file as "David.pm".

Hope this helps.

David Joseph Bonnici 05-05-2005 05:17 PM

Re: Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension.

However it seems to work fine on unix. I think that the pl is somewhat piped
trough .in and this makes the module. There must be a way to make the
ineterpreter aware of this.

If I run the same code trough command line, I get the problems.

Thanks Noel

David

Atlantis 05-05-2005 05:41 PM

Re: Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension.

Could be worth trying...

use lib("path-to-files");
use David;

J. Gleixner 05-05-2005 06:28 PM

David Joseph Bonnici wrote:
> Hi I am using ActivePerl (Build 811) on Windows. I am using Komodo as an
> editor. I am a newbie.
>
> I am having problems when referencing to modules that have the extension .pl
> or .in.
> I am using downloaded projects from sourceforge to test some features.
>
> I usually found myself in the scenario, and I get stuck.
>
> in a test123.pl file I find

> use David;
>
> When I go to search for the modules, (in order to copy these files to
> c:\perl\lib) I find

This isn't how you install modules.

> David.pm.pl and David.pm.in.
>
> If I copy them to the lib folder, the interpreter still tells me that he
> cannot find the module
>
> If I try to remame anyone of them, I get cannot compile object.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> David

Maybe, if you provided a real example, something from sourceforge, it
might help.

Anno Siegel 05-05-2005 09:07 PM

David Joseph Bonnici <djb@global.net.mt> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Hi I am using ActivePerl (Build 811) on Windows. I am using Komodo as an
> editor. I am a newbie.
>
> I am having problems when referencing to modules that have the extension .pl
> or .in.
> I am using downloaded projects from sourceforge to test some features.
>
> I usually found myself in the scenario, and I get stuck.
>
> in a test123.pl file I find

> use David;
>
> When I go to search for the modules, (in order to copy these files to
> c:\perl\lib) I find
>
> David.pm.pl and David.pm.in.
>
> If I copy them to the lib folder, the interpreter still tells me that he
> cannot find the module
>
> If I try to remame anyone of them, I get cannot compile object.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

You haven't installed the module properly. David.pm.pl and David.pm.in
(why didn't you give a real example?) are a Perl script and a template
file that together create David.pm. This happens during what is called
the build process. I don't know the particulars of the build process
under windows, but it would include thinks like

perl Makefile.PL
nmake

etc.

If the module you want doesn't come pre-packaged for windows, it may
be hard to install.

Anno

David Joseph Bonnici 05-06-2005 12:57 AM

Re: Help regarding Perl modules in .pl and .in extension.

Thanks very much for the info. At least you put me on the right track.
Thanks.

Sisyphus 05-06-2005 09:41 AM

> Thanks very much for the info. At least you put me on the right track.

You might also try the komodo-discuss mailing list hosted by ActiveState.
See:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/

Cheers,
Rob