Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help with Mysql package (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t891563-help-with-mysql-package.html)

jake 03-26-2005 10:10 PM

Help with Mysql package

I am trying to install the Mysql package, I have tried in CPAN as well
as just in the command line, I even tried it as root. What I am getting
is "make had returned bad status, install seams impossible."

Anyone know what I need to do? I all ready installed DBI. I'm not sure
what more it wants from me?

Thanks

Jake

robic0@yahoo.com 03-26-2005 10:20 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

Just a FYI. This is the Perl Language forum Jake, you might be
construed as "off-topic" here
depending on wheather the 3 or 4 John Henry's here know the answer to
your question. I don't,
but could find out for you.... Just to let you know.

A. Sinan Unur 03-26-2005 10:27 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

"jake" <jacob.basham@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111875017.275778.116400@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com:

> I am trying to install the Mysql package, I have tried in CPAN as well
> as just in the command line, I even tried it as root. What I am getting
> is "make had returned bad status, install seams impossible."
>
> Anyone know what I need to do? I all ready installed DBI. I'm not sure
> what more it wants from me?

I am not either. I am not sure if there is an OS-specific solution to your
situation (like FreeBSD ports or Linux RPMs etc), but did you try:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBD::mysql'

(see <URL: http://search.cpan.org/~rudy/DBD-mysql-2.9004/lib/Bundle/DBD/mysql.pm>
for more information).

Sinan

A. Sinan Unur 03-26-2005 10:29 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

"robic0@yahoo.com" <robic0@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1111875651.317975.229520@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com:

> Just a FYI. This is the Perl Language forum Jake, you might be
> construed as "off-topic" here
> depending on wheather the 3 or 4 John Henry's here know the answer to
> your question. I don't,
> but could find out for you.... Just to let you know.

You've got it wrong, because his question involves the installation of a
CPAN module.

On the other hand, the oP could have been more helpful (see the posting
guidelines for this group) by providing more information on the specific
environment, versions, error messages etc.

Sinan

robic0@yahoo.com 03-26-2005 10:34 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

JH #1
Please quote selected excerpts from "the posting guidelines" when
referring to inacuracies.

jake 03-26-2005 10:42 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

A. Sinan Unur:

>On the other hand, the oP could have been more helpful (see the
>posting guidelines for this group) by providing more information on
>the specific environment, versions, error messages etc.

I was not thinking that this is a platform specific issue.

>perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBD::mysql'

Gives me the same error, just in a tad bit fancier maner.

Now I am thinking it is a platform specific issue, I'm running OSX
10.3.9 and I found a topic on MySql's site which seamed like the same
issue. It still doesn't work and I haven't figured out if it made it
better or wose.
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3421

Sorry if it's off topic.
I was just looking at the perl not the lang.

A. Sinan Unur 03-26-2005 10:58 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

"jake" <jacob.basham@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111876924.476274.273040
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> A. Sinan Unur:
>
>>On the other hand, the oP could have been more helpful (see the
>>posting guidelines for this group) by providing more information on
>>the specific environment, versions, error messages etc.

> I was not thinking that this is a platform specific issue.

It may not be. However, there are differences across platforms and Perl
distributions in how one installs Perl modules. On FreeBSD, I used the
ports system. On Windows XP, I use ActiveState's ppm. In the latter
environment, modules are not built from source, but they are distributed
in binary format. You can see how platform specific information can be
of help.

>>perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBD::mysql'

> Gives me the same error, just in a tad bit fancier maner.

It would be useful to see what the exact error is. That is, the contents
of a log file or even a straight copy and paste from the shell window
would do wonders. Please do read the posting guidelines.

> Now I am thinking it is a platform specific issue, I'm running OSX
> 10.3.9 and I found a topic on MySql's site which seamed like the same
> issue. It still doesn't work and I haven't figured out if it made it
> better or wose.
> http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3421

Does the following help?

http://www.quicomm.com/apm_dbddbi.htm

> Sorry if it's off topic. I was just looking at the perl not the lang.

It is definitely not off-topic, but you will need to put in some more
work when composing your post to help others help you.

Sinan.

jake 03-26-2005 11:34 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

A. Sinan Unur:

>http://www.quicomm.com/apm_dbd dbi.htm

That is what I tried first.

Then I found the article on changing the Config.pm file
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3421

Then I belive after that I tried this tip
http://www.truerwords.net/articles/o...dbd_mysql.html

Currenlty this is my output with make:

......Computer:~/Desktop/DBD-mysql-2.1028 jakobie$ make
rm -f blib/arch/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle
LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/lib" /usr/bin/perl myld env env
MACOSX_DEVELOPMENT_TARGET=10.3 cc -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup
-L/usr/local/lib dbdimp.o mysql.o -o
blib/arch/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle -L/usr/local/mysql/lib
-lmysqlclient -lz -lm
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
ld: flag: -undefined dynamic_lookup can't be used with
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable set to: 10.1
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle] Error 1

Tad McClellan 03-26-2005 11:43 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

robic0@yahoo.com <robic0@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Please quote

We'll quote when you quote.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
tadmc@augustmail.com Perl programming

Tad McClellan 03-26-2005 11:45 PM

Re: Help with Mysql package

jake <jacob.basham@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if it's off topic.

Pay no attention to the troll.

Installing Perl modules is most certainly on-topic in the Perl newsgroup.