Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dreamweaver (or some such) and HTML::Template? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t891216-dreamweaver-or-some-such-and-html-template.html)

newsbot@cox.net 03-07-2005 04:38 PM

Dreamweaver (or some such) and HTML::Template?

I'm a long-time user of HTML::Template for creating large and small
sites alike. But since my graphic design and layout skills extend only
to intermediate at best and I need to create some fairly nice HTML
layouts, I've considered using Dreamweaver (or some such) to create my
overall look and feel, then place my HTML::Template tags accordingly in
the resulting HTML.

I'm looking for something on the order of Dreamweaver that will ignore
-- as in line with the design goal of the HTML::Template module writer
-- HTML::Template "tags". Can anyone recommend or provide their
experience with something like this?

I realize my question is NOT specifically "Perl" related per se, but I
need this audience since none or very precious few outside of it are
going to have ANY idea what HTML::Template is for Perl. Template
Toolkit would also be an option, though I am much more familiar (and
content) with the simplicty and approach of HTML::Template.

Thanks,
-ceo

Eric Bohlman 03-07-2005 06:17 PM

Re: Dreamweaver (or some such) and HTML::Template?

newsbot@cox.net wrote in news:1110213506.344130.244510
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I'm a long-time user of HTML::Template for creating large and small
> sites alike. But since my graphic design and layout skills extend only
> to intermediate at best and I need to create some fairly nice HTML
> layouts, I've considered using Dreamweaver (or some such) to create my
> overall look and feel, then place my HTML::Template tags accordingly in
> the resulting HTML.
>
> I'm looking for something on the order of Dreamweaver that will ignore
> -- as in line with the design goal of the HTML::Template module writer
> -- HTML::Template "tags". Can anyone recommend or provide their
> experience with something like this?

HTML::Template allows you to embed its special tags in HTML comments,
which any decent editor will leave alone (see "Notes" in the
documentation).

However, I'd suggest that you learn to use CSS for your layouts rather
than a "WYSIWYG" tool. You're already separating your document structure
from your code by using templates; the next logical step is to separate
your layout/styling from your document structure using stylesheets. The
less intertwingling, the easier the whole thing is to maintain.

Fabian Pilkowski 03-07-2005 06:20 PM

newsbot@cox.net wrote:

> I'm looking for something on the order of Dreamweaver that will ignore
> -- as in line with the design goal of the HTML::Template module writer
> -- HTML::Template "tags". Can anyone recommend or provide their
> experience with something like this?

You can write your HTML::Template-tags like

<tmpl_var name="param">

also as HTML comment

<!-- tmpl_var name=param -->

to generate valid HTML syntax. Have a look at the docs at

http://search.cpan.org/~samtregar/HT....7/Template.pm

where this feature is described in a paragraph named "NOTES".

regards,
fabian

newsbot@cox.net 03-08-2005 02:21 AM

Re: Dreamweaver (or some such) and HTML::Template?

Well, you would think that as a "long time user," I would have caught
on to that little feature. But then again, I never had the need since
I've pretty much hand-written all HTML (and how very little there is of
that to do, thanks to HTML::Template). Thanks for pointing this
feature out.

-ceo