Velocity Reviews

-   -   MLDBM error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t889387-mldbm-error.html)

Mark Ng 11-30-2004 01:34 AM

MLDBM error

Hi,

I got a file that was created using MLDBM (DB_File Storable) a couple of
years ago. Now, when I tried to load it I get this error:

MLDBM error: Second level tie failed, "" at data.pm line 290

Any suggestions on how I can read the file ?

I am using perl 5.8.4 on Debian.

Thanks,
mark

Mark Ng 11-30-2004 12:59 PM

Re: MLDBM error

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:13:54 -0500, Bob Walton wrote:

> Just a guess: The problem is probably with the DB_File end of things --
> DMB-type files tend not to be portable across platforms/versions or
> perhaps even nominally similar computers (depending on what compilation
> options were used for each system). You may need to go back to the same
> platform/version where the file was written in order to read it, and
> there generate an ASCII dump of the key/value pairs to bring to your
> current system to regenerate the DB_File file.

Yes, found a machine with Perl 5.6 and it worked perfectly.

> DBM-type files are not a
> good choice for archiving data.

Yes, definitely.

mark