Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Perl Misc (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f67-perl-misc.html)
-   -   Array of Hashes ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t889163-array-of-hashes.html)

Tom 11-17-2004 04:59 PM

Array of Hashes ?
 
Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()

I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array
I don't see => when 'm priting the Array using Data::Dumper()

By looking at the dump can someone ascertain if I have formed an Array
of Hashes or not?



--------------------------------



Tom> Hash 1:
$VAR1 = {
'1' => [
'0'
],
'0' => [
'0'
],
'TestCase' => [
'PC_Battery'
]
};

Tom> Hash 2:
$VAR1 = {
'1' => [
'0'
],
'0' => [
'0'
],
'2' => [
'0'
],
'TestCase' => [
'PC_Something'
]
};

Tom> Array of Hashes: (?)
$VAR1 = [
[
'1',
[
'0'
],
'0',
[
'0'
],
'TestCase',
[
'PC_Battery'
]
],
[
'1',
[
'0'
],
'0',
[
'0'
],
'2',
[
'0'
],
'TestCase',
[
'PC_Something'
]
]
];
---------------------------------------------------

Matija Papec 11-17-2004 05:17 PM

Re: Array of Hashes ?
 
X-Ftn-To: Tom

sudhirx@gmail.com (Tom) wrote:
>Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
>Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
>I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()
>
>I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array
>I don't see => when 'm priting the Array using Data::Dumper()
>
>By looking at the dump can someone ascertain if I have formed an Array
>of Hashes or not?


No, you didn't. What do you want to accomplish?



--
Matija

A. Sinan Unur 11-17-2004 05:21 PM

Re: Array of Hashes ?
 
sudhirx@gmail.com (Tom) wrote in
news:f50c52fa.0411170859.ed4643f@posting.google.co m:

> Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
> Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
> I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()
>
> I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array


comp.lang.perl.mindreadres is down the hall to your right.

> I don't see => when 'm priting the Array using Data::Dumper()


Have you read

perldoc perldsc

Sinan

Paul Lalli 11-17-2004 07:10 PM

Re: Array of Hashes ?
 
"Tom" <sudhirx@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f50c52fa.0411170859.ed4643f@posting.google.co m...
> Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
> Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
> I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()
>
> I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array
> I don't see => when 'm priting the Array using Data::Dumper()


I really don't understand what any of this means.

> By looking at the dump can someone ascertain if I have formed an Array
> of Hashes or not?


Afraid not. See below.

>
> Tom> Hash 1:
> $VAR1 = {
> '1' => [
> '0'
> ],
> '0' => [
> '0'
> ],
> 'TestCase' => [
> 'PC_Battery'
> ]
> };



Here, $VAR1 is a reference to a hash with three key/value pairs. The
keys are '0', '1', and 'TestCase'. Each value of the hash in a
reference to an array that contains one element each.

> Tom> Hash 2:
> $VAR1 = {
> '1' => [
> '0'
> ],
> '0' => [
> '0'
> ],
> '2' => [
> '0'
> ],
> 'TestCase' => [
> 'PC_Something'
> ]
> };
>


Same exact thing, but with an extra key/value pair in the hash.

> Tom> Array of Hashes: (?)
> $VAR1 = [
> [
> '1',
> [
> '0'
> ],
> '0',
> [
> '0'
> ],
> 'TestCase',
> [
> 'PC_Battery'
> ]
> ],



There is no hash in here anywhere. You have an array of array
references. The first element in the overall array is an array
reference. That array contains the values: 1, (a reference to an array
containing 0), 0, (a reference to another array containing 0),
'TestCase', and (a reference to an array containing 'PC_Battery')

At this point, it would be helpful to see your code so we can help you
see where you went wrong in creating an array where you thought you were
creating a hash.

Paul Lalli


Thomas Kratz 11-17-2004 07:41 PM

Re: Array of Hashes ?
 
Tom wrote:
> Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
> Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
> I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()
>
> I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array


No. The data you posted shows that you pushed two anonymous arrays
containing the flattened hashes into the array.

I assume you did:

push @Array, [%Hash1];
push @Array, [%Hash2];

Try to push *references* to Hash1 and Hash2 to the Array like so:

push @Array, \%Hash1;
push @Array, \%Hash2;

See perldoc perlreftut

Next time post real code.
And please have a look at the posting guidelines.

Thomas

--
$/=$,,$_=<DATA>,s,(.*),$1,see;__END__
s,^(.*\043),,mg,@_=map{[split'']}split;{#>J~.>_an~>>e~......>r~
$_=$_[$%][$"];y,<~>^,-++-,?{$/=--$|?'"':#..u.t.^.o.P.r.>ha~.e..
'%',s,(.),\$$/$1=1,,$;=$_}:/\w/?{y,_, ,,#..>s^~ht<._..._..c....
print}:y,.,,||last,,,,,,$_=$;;eval,redo}#.....>.e. r^.>l^..>k^.-

Peter Wyzl 11-18-2004 06:16 AM

Re: Array of Hashes ?
 
"A. Sinan Unur" <1usa@llenroc.ude.invalid> wrote in message
news:Xns95A47DA443544asu1cornelledu@132.236.56.8.. .
> sudhirx@gmail.com (Tom) wrote in
> news:f50c52fa.0411170859.ed4643f@posting.google.co m:
>
>> Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
>> Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
>> I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()
>>
>> I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array

>
> comp.lang.perl.mindreadres is down the hall to your right.
>
>> I don't see => when 'm priting the Array using Data::Dumper()

>
> Have you read
>
> perldoc perldsc


Actually, that reminds me. It's probably time that doc got updated. My
copy (Perl 5.8.3) was written in 1996 and makes assertions about inability
to write complex data representations to disk which have been well fixed by
Storable.

Who would handle that?

--
Wyzelli
print "oh how nice\n";



Ben Morrow 11-18-2004 05:22 PM

Re: Array of Hashes ?
 

Quoth "Peter Wyzl" <wyzelli@yahoo.com>:
> "A. Sinan Unur" <1usa@llenroc.ude.invalid> wrote in message
> news:Xns95A47DA443544asu1cornelledu@132.236.56.8.. .
> > sudhirx@gmail.com (Tom) wrote in
> > news:f50c52fa.0411170859.ed4643f@posting.google.co m:
> >
> >> Well, I am a beginner as far as perl is concerned.
> >> Can some one point me that 'm doing is correct.
> >> I have pasted below my hash and array using Data::Dumper()
> >>
> >> I am pushing Hash1, Hash2 in to an Array

> >
> > comp.lang.perl.mindreadres is down the hall to your right.
> >
> >> I don't see => when 'm priting the Array using Data::Dumper()

> >
> > Have you read
> >
> > perldoc perldsc

>
> Actually, that reminds me. It's probably time that doc got updated. My
> copy (Perl 5.8.3) was written in 1996 and makes assertions about inability
> to write complex data representations to disk which have been well fixed by
> Storable.
>
> Who would handle that?


Send a patch to p5p (perl5-porters@perl.org, or
nntp://nntp.perl.org/perl.perl5.porters).

Ben

--
"The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
-Assyrian stone tablet, c.2800 BC ben@morrow.me.uk


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.