Velocity Reviews

-   -   Which is the best book for learning OO perl? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t888717-which-is-the-best-book-for-learning-oo-perl.html)

Mark Day 10-26-2004 04:13 AM

Which is the best book for learning OO perl?

Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
programming book.

Any [good] suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Uri Guttman 10-26-2004 04:30 AM

Re: Which is the best book for learning OO perl?

MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
MD> programming book.

advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
it.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com

Mark Day 10-26-2004 04:35 AM

Uri Guttman wrote:

> MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
> MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
> MD> programming book.
>
> advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
> in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
> it.

Yes those are the two i have short listed, but if you had to pick one,
which of those two is the best introduction and tutorial?

Thanks.

Tassilo v. Parseval 10-26-2004 05:12 AM

Re: Which is the best book for learning OO perl?

Also sprach Uri Guttman:

> MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
> MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
> MD> programming book.
>
> advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
> in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
> it.

However, it's no less outdated than advanced Perl as it only covers
5.005_03. Other than that, I think it's too exhaustive if someone just
wants to learn the OO principles in Perl. Therefore I'd say that
Randal's "Learning Perl Objects, References & Objects" is the better
pick.

Tassilo

Mark Day 10-26-2004 05:17 AM

Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
> Also sprach Uri Guttman:

>> MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
>> MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
>> MD> programming book.
>>
>>advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
>>in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
>>it.

> However, it's no less outdated than advanced Perl as it only covers
> 5.005_03. Other than that, I think it's too exhaustive if someone just
> wants to learn the OO principles in Perl. Therefore I'd say that
> Randal's "Learning Perl Objects, References & Objects" is the better
> pick.

I'll have a look at Randal's book, do you think the advanced perl book
is simply too outdated to be still relevant? Or is it too much to digest
in one go without a basic introduction to the general principles.
Does Randal's book contain a turotial? Which of these three would be
considered the most comprehensive tutorial?

Thanks

Uri Guttman 10-26-2004 05:27 AM

Re: Which is the best book for learning OO perl?

MD> I'll have a look at Randal's book, do you think the advanced perl
MD> book is simply too outdated to be still relevant? Or is it too
MD> much to digest in one go without a basic introduction to the
MD> general principles. Does Randal's book contain a turotial? Which
MD> of these three would be considered the most comprehensive
MD> tutorial?

randal's book covers more than just OOP and in a more tutorial
style. damian's covers only OOP and in extreme depth and it can be read
by anyone who knows a average amount of perl (i.e. knows refs, hashes,
and related stuff). i wouldn't recommend APP much anymore but it still
has stuff other people like.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com

Mark Day 10-26-2004 05:30 AM

Uri Guttman wrote:

> MD> I'll have a look at Randal's book, do you think the advanced perl
> MD> book is simply too outdated to be still relevant? Or is it too
> MD> much to digest in one go without a basic introduction to the
> MD> general principles. Does Randal's book contain a turotial? Which
> MD> of these three would be considered the most comprehensive
> MD> tutorial?
>
> randal's book covers more than just OOP and in a more tutorial
> style. damian's covers only OOP and in extreme depth and it can be read
> by anyone who knows a average amount of perl (i.e. knows refs, hashes,
> and related stuff). i wouldn't recommend APP much anymore but it still
> has stuff other people like.

OK, probably will read Randal's book and if i can get through that I'll
try Damin Conway's. Not sure I follow how APP has become so outmoded,
but I'll take your word for it, it is 7 years old.

Thanks.

Uri Guttman 10-26-2004 05:40 AM

Re: Which is the best book for learning OO perl?

MD> OK, probably will read Randal's book and if i can get through that
MD> I'll try Damin Conway's. Not sure I follow how APP has become so
MD> outmoded, but I'll take your word for it, it is 7 years old.

maybe it is just my take on it. there is an update in the works but by a
different author from what i hear.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com

Charlton Wilbur 10-26-2004 06:48 AM

Re: Which is the best book for learning OO perl?

MD> Not sure I follow how APP has become so outmoded, but I'll
MD> take your word for it, it is 7 years old.

It brings up a lot of interesting problems -- such as object
persistence. And then it proceeds to solve them, commenting on the
tradeoffs of various modules as they existed 7 years ago. The
problems are still relevant, and the general techniques of solving
them are still relevant, but the specific commentary is out of date.

If you had it on the shelf or were given it free, it would be a
worthwhile read, and it was interesting and useful in its day It's far
from the best book on the topic.

(It would also probably have been better called _Topics in Perl_
rather than _Advanced Perl Programming_, but that's a separate issue.)

Charlton

--
cwilbur at chromatico dot net
cwilbur at mac dot com

Tad McClellan 10-26-2004 07:20 AM

Mark Day <soundz@techie.com> wrote:
> Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
>> Also sprach Uri Guttman:

>> Therefore I'd say that
>> Randal's "Learning Perl Objects, References & Objects" is the better
>> pick.

> Does Randal's book contain a turotial?

Randal's entire book *is* a tutorial.

(and for a brief peek at some of what's in there, type "perldoc perlboot")

> Which of these three would be
> considered the most comprehensive tutorial?

Only Randal's because it is the only one in that set that even
is a tutorial. The others are more reference than tutorial in style.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
tadmc@augustmail.com Perl programming