Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to become a perl hacker? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t888652-how-to-become-a-perl-hacker.html)

doug 10-22-2004 06:40 PM

How to become a perl hacker?

#! /usr/bin/perl

@whatdoIhaveto = <STDIN>;
do
{
┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*$I┬*=┬*shift┬*@whatdoIhaveto;
} until $I =~ /a perl hacker/i;

--

doug

Uri Guttman 10-22-2004 07:01 PM

Re: How to become a perl hacker?

>>>>> "d" == doug <doug@yahoo.com> writes:

d> #! /usr/bin/perl
d> @whatdoIhaveto = <STDIN>;
d> do
d> {
d> ┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*$I┬*=┬*shift┬*@whatdoIhaveto;
d> } until $I =~ /a perl hacker/i;

print "don't post stupid stuff\n" while 1 ;

uri

Aaron Sherman 10-23-2004 12:02 AM

Uri Guttman <uguttman@athenahealth.com> wrote in message news:<m3breu60h4.fsf@linux.local>...

> d> #! /usr/bin/perl
> d> @whatdoIhaveto = <STDIN>;
> d> do
> d> {
> d> $I = shift @whatdoIhaveto;
> d> } until $I =~ /a perl hacker/i;
>
> print "don't post stupid stuff\n" while 1 ;

Uri, you're a cold, cruel man ;-)

There are two ways to take the grandparent: as a question phrased as
Perl poetry or as Perl poetry phrased as a question.

I prefer to think of it as the former, and if I'm right I'd say you're
already there.

There are three things that identify a good Perl hacker, two of which
have nothing to do with Perl:

1. Skill as a programmer
2. Knowledge of programming techniques
3. Knowledge of Perl

If you lack the first, I'm afraid you're probably SOL.

If you lack the second, it's relatively easy through long and tedious
to pick up.

If you've already covered 1 and 2, 3 is easy and the fact that Perl
ships with documentation that gives most encyclopaedias an inferiority
complex, you don't even have to wonder where to go for the research
you're going to need.

Start with anything in $PERL5LIB/pod/*{help,tut,func,syn}.pod and go
from there.

Good luck.